Sign in to follow this  
Dipanddeer

Arrows/Broadheads

What type of setup do you have? I would go with the Swhacker head and if you can afford them get Victory Arrows that are the right spine for your setup.

the arrow is a vital impact 300 carbon arrow just a quick pick up from sportsmens and the brodhead is a fixed 100 grain i think they're called thunderheads

the arrow is a vital impact 300 carbon arrow just a quick pick up from sportsmens and the brodhead is a fixed 100 grain i think they're called thunderheads

As long as your bow is properly tuned you should get consistent arrow flight and accuracy. But again I would change your Head.

I would stay away from the Swhacker ! I shot my bull in the shoulder with one and it folded up and got spit right back out. I am using Black Eagle Arrows - Deep Impact with Rage Broadheads ! The best combo I have ever shot ! I can also get you very good deals on that setup ! Contact me if your interested.

For the money Victory arrows are hard to beat. As to broadheads........slick tricks. My experience with them is they are as accurate as a field point and not a lot can go wrong with them.

• Like 2

/>I would stay away from the Swhacker ! I shot my bull in the shoulder with one and it folded up and got spit right back out. I am using Black Eagle Arrows - Deep Impact with Rage Broadheads ! The best combo I have ever shot ! I can also get you very good deals on that setup ! Contact me if your interested.

Lol if you shoot a elk in the shoulder with any broad head you will get bad results! The swhackers are by far stronger then the rage in my opinion! I have killed several animals with both and I prefer the swhackers over the rage for two reasons; Blades deploying in the quiver and weak blades. However they do make devastating wounds!

Dont buy anything that has an aluminum ferrule. There are lots of good all steel heads around.

I would get the arrows that fit your set up, I use G/T 7595 Pro Hunter, and use Slick Trick 100 Magnums same POI as my field points and are lethal check out their website.

• Like 1

Thunderheads are arguably the most proven head ever. And they will fly good at any distance provided they are given good tuning and good shooting form.

Buy what you like. If it gives you confidence, go for it. Any quality head/arrow combo will get it done.

Every hunting piece of gear is a compromise. Fixed heads are usually more rugged and inherently more dependable, but can be harder to tune and have more conservative cutting diameters. Mechanicals tend to be easier to tune and have larger cutting diameters, but tend to be less reliable and strong.

Something to think about, cutting diameter of a 2 blade mechanicals tends to be larger than that of most 3 or 4 blade fixed heads, however, they will have less total blade surface than the fixed heads. More blade surface, at reduced blade angles means less resistance and overall sharper blades throughout the duration of the job (think of shoving an axe into meat vs. a boning knife). Therefore: Larger cutting diameter does not always mean more damage. The 2 blade mechanicals have the blades 180 degrees from each other, whereas 3 blade fixed are 120 degrees, and 4 blade are 90 degrees accordingly. Which is more likely to clip vessels and organs? Which hole is less likely to close: 3-4 blade star hole or 2 blade sliver hole? If the arrow doesn't pass through, which heads are likely to close up instead of causing more damage?

If you have the energy, and can reliably push big mechanicals through game, and they are not a weak design, you will have big holes, short- prolific blood trails, and happy hunting.

Take a look at your finished ideal setup, determine what is important to you. Is penetration more important than large holes? Is wind drift important to you? How far do you intend to shoot and do you have the needed energy to push your chosen broadhead through your intended game at these distances? What shot angles are you willing to take?

After you find out what you value, it will shorten your broadhead list considerably.

Good luck and good shooting.

Not a good head if your going to shoot 100+ plus yards though.

Hopefully, he's a better stalker and won't need to shoot those extreme distances.

I'm not sure why so many people are against mechanical broad heads! Here is some good information about mechanical heads vs fixed. I have personally killed three bulls with two rages and one swhacker, all pass throughs at 34, 50, and 51 yards. Massive entry and exit holes with both heads, and they all died within 70 yards. I recently switched to the gravediggers because they are the best of both worlds and fly like field points, and not to mention they make huge holes in animals!

http://www.bowhunting.com/publisher/hunting-news/2014/2/27/high-deer-recovery-rates-for-fixed-blade-and-mechanical-broadheads

• Like 1

* Your Mileage May Vary :)

• Like 1