Sign in to follow this  
SHOOTER

NM elk question

My schedule will not allow me to hunt any archery hunts this year so I am looking into some later hunts. I saw the November NM unit 15 muzzleloader elk Mature bull hunt. I am not looking for any secret spots just wondering if anyone has hunted this hunt and how they would rate it? How was your unit 15 experience? Did you see many elk? I imagine it could be tough but also may be a ticket for a decent sized bull. Thanks for any input!

Really good hunt, rivals AZ units. Rut is hit or miss that time of year but this year has the earliest season dates they have for it so it could be good. Tough part is drawing it, single digit odds.

I have hunted unit 15 New Mexico muzzleloader elk 8 times. I have had 6 cow tags, an October bull tag and a November bull tag. I have killed an elk each time, but have spent lots of time scouting and hunting. The unit has a good elk population, but nice bulls 320+ are not easy to find on the late hunts.

Nonresident quotas have made it more difficult for us out of staters to draw bull tags and impossible for cow tags. I guess that it is a good deal for NM hunters, but not for the rest of us!

I would rather hunt unit 1 or 27 in Arizona, but unit 15 is much better than staying home!

Thanks for the input. I have hunted with friends on the archery hunts but I know this November tag would be a whole different world. I think glassing and looking for bachelor groups of bulls would be a fun challenge. For those who have hunted the late hunt did you see lots of hunters on this hunt or was everyone pretty dispersed?

I just drew the Oct. 18 muzzle loader tag in Unit 15 New Mexico.

Any advice ?

General or specific, posted or private message would be appreciated.