Sign in to follow this  
flagcoueskiller

Video Cameras for hunting

Hey everyone, I have been watching a lot of coues deer videos in anticipation of my Mexico hunt coming up. I would love to video the action and was wondering if anyone had advice on what kind of video camera for good results. I have a Sony probably run of the mill without enough zoom. I don't know the model, it works great for taping my daughter learn to crawl but I think I might have to upgrade to zoom on the coues!

I bought a Panasonic PV-gs300 a while back and can't say enough good things about it. It comes with image stabilization that makes your videos turn out great. You won't get all of the shake. I did alot of research before I bought this one. You can also take some good stills with it. I bought it from Beachcamera.com in California. I have bought two cameras from them now with no issues. David

http://review.zdnet.com/Panasonic_PV_GS300...6-31660647.html

Wal-Mart had a nice little camera that is about the size of your hand. We picked it up to try it out, and I actually like it a lot. It's a JVC with 32x zoom, has the wide (16:9) mode for filming, and also takes stills. The quality isn't as good as the expensive cameras like many of those videos are shot with, but they are still fairly good.

My son uses a Canon GL1, it's a very nice camera. It is a larger camera, a little heavier than the palm size cameras, and it is a little pricey. B and H photo in NYC has the best price that we could find.

B and H does have great prices and we haven't had any problems with them. We use the Canon's GL2, XL1, ZR's and Sony's DCRVX2000. You don't need the big cameras to get good video, just make sure you get a digital with 3ccd's, image stabilization and a high OPTICAL ZOOM, don't worry about what it's digital zoom is, you don't want to video in digital zoom anyway! I have a small Canon ZR 90 with 22X optical zoom and in good light, it'll do just as good as the big camera but it has to be on a tripod, and it is very reasonably priced. Best of luck, JIM>

I use a GL2, but I agree with Jim that you can get some excellent video with some of the smaller cams and they are certainly easier to pack out.

I also suggest you contact Doug at Cameraland. Cameraland is a sponsor of this site and has great customer service and can give advice on choices of cameras to suit your needs. He should be able to give you a competitive price too. http://www.cameralandny.com/

here is his contact info:

Doug

Camera Land

212-753-5128

gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Amanda