Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Insuring your guns and gear

Get a carbon dioxide supression system... that way your stuff doesnt get water damage.

Note:

Most standard homeowners policies only cover sporting goods (guns) up to 2 grand.

Take a look at all your guns/scopes and binoculars and ask your self, would $2,000 cover it ?

I thought I should post a little follow up on my situation and a few things I have learned along the way, just incase it could help somebody else someday. So after many calls to different insurance companies and asking lots of questions, I ended up with a separate policy for sporting equipment (guns, hunting gear, optics, etc.). It seems like every insurance company has different limits on what a homeowners/ renters policy will cover in the event of theft. Somewhere around 2k minus your deductible seems to be the average. To compound that situation, some companies do have limits set on firearms and such, (as mentioned earlier by a couple of posts). Adding a rider or a separate policy were my choices to get the amount of coverage that I needed to cover my guns and gear, (again the choices varied by insurance company). One other thing I learned was that your full coverage auto insurance may not cover things in your vehicle if it's stolen. This is where your homeowners or renters insurance could come into play. So once again, you want to make sure you have enough coverage.

I did want to mention that Amanda's suggestion of talking with Luke Adam (sponsor of CWT and is with Farm Bureau), was very helpful. Luke answered a lot of questions I had and also understood how hunters can accumulate a lot of expensive gear, (something that other agents I spoke with had a hard time understanding). Joeeden, I'm sorry but I didn't see your post until today, otherwise I would have given you a call too.

There's a lot to know about your insurance policy and it takes some time and effort to figure it out, but I think it's worth it to make sure that you're covered incase something happens. Thanks to all who offered their advice and input. Yet another reason why the CWT community is so helpful.