Sign in to follow this  
218buck

17a 17b turkey hunt

My daughter drew the first hunt in this multiple unit hunt ,was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated she just turned 13 and is really excited for an opportunity to kill her first gobbler she also drew a bull elk tag and a antelope tag she has been on quite a luck streak lately.

That's a tough one for turkey. I've seen turkey up in 17A maybe 3-4 times total. I drew that same tag last year. Called in a lone hen on a water hole on my hunt but otherwise no bearded turkeys. Didn't even see a tom or jake. Then again... when I hiked into this tank there was a bear on it... took video of the bear and all. That was exciting. Good news is there's only what 10 tags or so? Just because I didn't have much luck doesn't mean you won't... go scout and check it all out.. I have a few spots if you pm me but no guarantees. Juniper mesa area is a good chance.

My daughter drew the first hunt in this multiple unit hunt ,was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated she just turned 13 and is really excited for an opportunity to kill her first gobbler she also drew a bull elk tag and a antelope tag she has been on quite a luck streak lately.

Call the AZGFD and speak to the game manager for that unit. I've found that they are willing to help with information.

Look in to been near to great basin lake (17b) but first talk to the AZGF so you can know the details

Tough place to find turkeys in my opinion.

First year we drew tags there my lady friend sat waters with a decoy spread in front of her while I wandered around.

She got a huge gobbler (11 inch beard) on Day 2 and I got one out of a flock of 6 gobblers that were chasing a single hen. That bird had a 9 1/2 inch beard. That also was on Day 2.

Went back the second year and called in one hen..didn't see or hear a gobble the entire time we were there!

Don't know what happened and have never been back.

Collecting bonus points for Gould's now and hunting turkeys on San Carlos where there are actually a lot of birds!

Call Darren, the WM for that area, he may be able to help.

Good luck,

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

It used to be a great hunt! One of the best! But has slid quite a bit in numbers. I've killed quite a few in the past and know a few spots that seem to produce. If these other guys info doesn't pan out, drop me a pm and I will try to help out as much as I can.