Sign in to follow this  
coatimundi01

My first elk hunt

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/43852-new-to-the-site-my-back-story-to-hunting/?fromsearch=1

The first post tell my back story to hunting, and I found out last week I got drawn for ELK in my first try applying! It is probably unit 27, so if it is, it's where my dad killed his last elk, a decent 6x6 out of the blue wilderness by hisself. I never got the chance to go elk hunting with him as a kid, so even though I'm not new to the country and being around elk, I've never explored too many backcountry areas and have obviously never tried to hunt elk.

I'm looking forward to the endless summer of scouting, reading advice on the forum, exploring new areas, and hunting with friends. It's definitely gonna be an experience!

• Like 1

Congratulations on drawing your first tag Coati! It sounds like you have the right thought process to fully optimize the experience and privilege of bull elk hunting. I have been privileged to harvest 24 bulls in my lifetime and probably guided friends and clients to equally as many kills. To me it has never been about the "kill", even though we have always focused on the biggest bulls available. The scouting in the summers leading up to the hunts and camaraderie during the hunt have always been the ultimate prize.....whether we were able to harvest one of the bulls we had targeted, or not. Enjoy your summer and upcoming hunt. And good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely looking forward to the scouting and camping with the wife and kids. Being the fishin poles and make a few long weekends in July and August!

• Like 1

Lets talk about where you want to hunt? I grew up in that country. My family homesteaded Blue River & my great uncle homesteaded Beaverhead Lodge.

Azbackwoods are you by chance any relation to my former good buddy Jim Grammer (now deceased) who owned Beaverhead and his wife still does own a remaining acreage? Or the homesteader Norman Josh?

Cool. I've known Jim and Betty for 40 years and Jim was one of my father-in-laws two best friends. Jim helped me a lot on my hunting adventures and shared many great stories which I will never forget. I consider it a great privilege to have known Jim so well.

/>Lets talk about where you want to hunt? I grew up in that country. My family homesteaded Blue River & my great uncle homesteaded Beaverhead Lodge.

I was wanting to backpack in and hunt the blue primitive. Never explored it too much so have to find out good access points and trails to hike in on.

Azbackwoods- If you ever get up to Burk's Point (named after your great uncle) take a look at the memorial I established up there for Jim Grammer. It is a stainless steel plaque with him on his horse surrounded by a large rock pile. Let me know how it looks. I likely won't make it back up there.

/>Congrats on your 1st elk hunt, results are up. Did you actually draw 27 EAB?

Thanks! Yup, got confirmation this morning. Permit #59 unit 27 Sept archery only bull

/> Congrats on your 1st elk hunt, results are up. Did you actually draw 27 EAB?

Thanks! Yup, got confirmation this morning. Permit #59 unit 27 Sept archery only bull

You'll have a blast, 27 is a great unit. You mention backpacking into the Blue. Not sure if you'll be solo but I would advise you have a sound strategy for conserving your trophy (meat and cape). It can get warm in September.

I've thought about that. I should have at least one other person with me most of the time. I think the tentative plan will involve several large coolers, dry ice, lots of frozen water bottles, a run into Alpine or Springerville for more ice, and then probably dropping it off in Show Low instead of trying to drive it all the way back to Tucson.