injunjon

Getting started elk hunting with Unit 23

I had one of the early archery tags for 23n last year.it was the funest unit i have ever been in as far as bulls and rutting gos. If i wear you i would be in the north part dureing the rut. Dureing your hunt you will see bulls man dont worry. Picking the one you want and deciding how hard you want to work for him is the hard part. It took me and 3 freinds two trips to pack out my bull last year. We started about noon and dident finish until 1 am. Steep tuff country but fun.

As daverp wrote, a good map of the area is essential and will be your best friend. Get one ASAP. One important thing not mentioned is a good pack. Since you haven't seen many elk, keep in mind that they're huge animals and how far you hunt from your vehicle shouldn't be any farther than you get can transport elk quarters (60-80lbs) on your back. Even though it's a late hunt, sometimes you get crazy warm weather in the middle of the day. An elk can spoil even in cool/cold weather if you're unprepared when you get one down. Search youtube for "gutless method" and you'll find some good (and some not so good) videos on there documenting the quickest/best way to break an animal down. You might get some help out in the field from other hunters but that shouldn't be the plan of how to get a bull out - be prepared to do the whole thing yourself, check the rules about driving offroad in 23 to retrieve game, etc. Congrats on drawing a good tag and have a great hunt!

I had one of the early archery tags for 23n last year.it was the funest unit i have ever been in as far as bulls and rutting gos. If i wear you i would be in the north part dureing the rut. Dureing your hunt you will see bulls man dont worry. Picking the one you want and deciding how hard you want to work for him is the hard part. It took me and 3 freinds two trips to pack out my bull last year. We started about noon and dident finish until 1 am. Steep tuff country but fun.

Elk are dispersed throughout the unit regardless of the rut. I believe you should choose your area to hunt based upon the style of hunt you want to accomplish. If your looking to glass and shoot in steep canyons that are littered with heavy vegetation, hunt the north end of the unit. If you desire a high desert type feel you may want to consider the rolling pinyons found in the southern end of the unit. As was stated before, weather can be a factor but more likely to be a factor in the northern half of the unit then the southern half. My 14 year old has the same hunt as his first bull tag, and you can be sure his physical prowess will be a determining factoring in where we hunt. Bulls are notorious for good genetics so it's okay to be picky, likely you will see more than one! God Bless

Thanks so much guys! I'm trying to find some other people to possibly hunt with or get my brother/dad to come out and hunt with me.

Let us know if you don't end up finding someone to go with. We should be able to help after we get our sons down.

• Like 1

I had this tag last year. My secret was the scout any time to learn the roads and the best glassing points that way you can find them in the dark. Then arrive 3 days early and glass from said glassing points. Find one you like. Sit on him till opening morning. Opening morning kill him and hope your friends are as awesome and as strong as mine were.

After the rut bulls scatter. So untill after the rut don't scout bulls, scout glassing points.

• Like 3

Let us know if you don't end up finding someone to go with. We should be able to help after we get our sons down.

This will be one heck of a year! If shedhunteraz is offering, you'd be wise to accept his/her assistance. They know 23 very well and are genuinely nice folks.

This will be one heck of a year! If shedhunteraz is offering, you'd be wise to accept his/her assistance. They know 23 very well and are genuinely nice folks.

both statements are true.
  • Like 1