Coach

Fire on San Carlos near Black River

We were fishing the Black today near Georges Basin and had to leave early because of a good sized fire just across the river on the San Carlos side. The only info I can find about an active fire on the San Carlos is the Basin Fire - anyone know more about this fire? It was a little spooky watching huge plumes of smoke from a wildfire only a couple miles away with pretty decent winds, and we didn't see any slurry planes, helicopters or other evidence that it was being contained.

I received this update yesterday by email:

Basin Fire Update

May 3, 2014

Incident Commander: Lemual Juan

Contact: San Carlos Tribal Forest Resources Program, San Carlos, Arizona

Daily Phone Information (928)475-2326 from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm.

Start Date: April 22, 2014

Size: 4,552 acres

Cause: Lightening caused.

Growth Potential: fire activity is low and smoldering

Percent Contained: 30%

Resources Assigned:

§ Firefighters: Ten men crew

§ Two Engines

§ Miscellaneous Overhead

Summary: Things are winding down; resources are starting to be released except for the two engines, ten men crew and miscellaneous overhead. Low intensity fire continues to creep in the interior of the fire perimeter with some smoke in the drainages. Today the crew and engines will be monitoring and patrolling the perimeter for hot spots.

Smoke will start to clear from the Basin Fire; however, the Skunk Fire on the Military Trail and the Willow Fire near Willow Mountain may increase in size and release more smoke into the atmosphere.

Safety for fire fighters and the public is our number one priority. If the community members or hunters are planning to be in the Bloody Basin area please be aware the Basin Fire is still active. Smoke from smoldering debris is still in the area.

Updates will continue to be posted/emailed and KYAY 91.1 will be announcing Fire Updates. Updates will be showing on SCATUI’s Channel 11. Face book and twitter account at “San Carlos Wildfires”.

Thanks, Amanda. I saw that too, but worded a little differently. This one looked pretty hot. I rounded a bend on the Black and saw the smoke plumes just one ridge over, and we decided we should get out as fast as we could - it was that close. I'll post some pix when I get a chance, but that fire with the wind on the Bonito Prairie has the opportunity to cause some real damage. I was particularly worried about the guys at ID Ranch. Looked like it was moving in that direction.

So its only 30% contained but they're scaling down their efforts? :unsure: Sounds like they're planning on letting it burn itself out?

San Carlos tends to use wildfire to their advantage and let things burn if they can. Some of that area that is burning was thinned not too long ago and was scheduled for prescribed burns anyway....natural fire is a lot cheaper way to accomplish this.

• Like 2

Basin Fire is out.... It did jump the road and burned about 1,000 more, but no harm was done... if you ask me... its the hunting place to be this coming year. Good sheds in there... presently the Skunk fire (SKunk CAnyon) UNit B near ash creek just ripped to 1,500 acres and burning all the tall grass.... Welcome back coues after its done... our crew is jumping on this fire maybe 2moro....no homes or timber are threatened...

We were fishing the Black today near Georges Basin and had to leave early because of a good sized fire just across the river on the San Carlos side. The only info I can find about an active fire on the San Carlos is the Basin Fire - anyone know more about this fire? It was a little spooky watching huge plumes of smoke from a wildfire only a couple miles away with pretty decent winds, and we didn't see any slurry planes, helicopters or other evidence that it was being contained.

does george's basin still hold water and fish?

we used to slay the LM and flats there!

James