Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Fishing in Yellowstone

Snapshot, I've got to get you in touch with my dad. He has teeeeny nymph fishing down to a science. Some of his flies are so small I don't even know how he can tie them on - #22-26, but he catches 22-26" bows on them all spring, summer and fall. Knows what they are eating and when.

• Like 1

This is a video clip I shot in 2011. Grayling Creek as it flows through the ranch I worked at for a couple seasons. Catching spawning Rainbows in the 16-20 inch class on egg patterns. A week before, I was fishing in the same spot during a snowfall. This is 10 miles north of the town of West Yellowstone, which is the West entrance to YNP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HX6TlhGKdkI

Snapshot, I've got to get you in touch with my dad. He has teeeeny nymph fishing down to a science. Some of his flies are so small I don't even know how he can tie them on - #22-26, but he catches 22-26" bows on them all spring, summer and fall. Knows what they are eating and when.

In Montana , size 20 is as small as I go. Lee's ferry is another matter. sometimes super small is all that works. Trying to tie on a size 20 fly at Dusk, makes me swear like a sailor. :lol:

• Like 1

Early season Streamer fishing can be a blast. Once the water temperature rises enough to make the trout frisky, they will aggressively chase streamers. I consider myself a good flyfisherman, however, my Streamer fishing techniques need some improvement.

Kelly Galloup, owner of the Slide Inn Flyfishing shop, and Lodge, down on the Madison River, is a master Streamer fisherman. You may have seen him on Flyfish TV episodes. He holds some Streamer fishing classes, which I would like to take sometime.

Tie a 6' length of 12 pound test to your flyline. I like White Zonkers, and Olive and Black, Flashabuggers. Just a standard Wooly Bugger tied with flashabou. Also a Galloup Boogie man, or Double Bunnie.

Darker streamers on overcast days, lighter colors when the sun shines.

Enjoy that great place that is YNP.

Don't forget to pinch down the barbs on your hooks, and use non-lead weight. I have been checked by the rangers.

Thanks for all the pointers everybody. Great advice. I was down sick all weekend, but I'm going out to the park today to practice some casts and get it figured out. I bought a ton of flies that have been mentioned in this thread (BWO, Copper Johns, Pheasant Tail, etc.) in multiple different sizes. We're camping at Madison for the week so we'll be right inside the West entrance, which will make running to the fly shop in West Yellowstone an easy task.

How should I be choosing the size of the flies I'm using? Should I typically be casing upstream and letting it float back toward me? Any characteristics in the water I should be looking for?

Thanks again for all the help everyone, it's been awesome!

PS. I will post pictures upon my return. ;)

go to youtube and search fly line mending. There are some decent videos that will help you get on the right path

GET A GUIDE!!!!!!!!!! It will save you a bunch of heart ache and will help you in all aspects of the sport. Especially knowing where to fish and what to use. DONT COUNT ON A FLY SHOP!!! They are there to sell flies. Even if they are honest you have to know how to use them and where to go. Biggest mistake I ever made was fishing the San Juan without a lesson. I fly fished for many years but had no idea how to fish that river. I got a guide the next year and now am hammering fish all the time.

GET A GUIDE!!!!!!!!!! Im telling you its the way to go. Have a blast!!!!

There are alot of great instructional videos on youtube.

The fish haven't been fished up there, since the park closed in November. You can throw all kinds of junk at them and be successful. Good presentation of the fly,and line control is the key.

Typically size 14,16,18 will cover most size flies. If you see any bugs flying around, catch one and see what it is, and try and match it with a similar fly. You can also pick up a rock from the water, and look at the underside. You will see Nymphs on it and can tell what type and size fly for the river.

If you want an attractor pattern for the early season. Get a few Glo bugs in Orange, or Pink. They imitate a spawning egg, and all fish will eat them.

Bob Jacklin of Jacklins fly shop in West Yellowstone gives free casting clinics every Sunday. I'm not sure what time of year he starts the clinics?