Sign in to follow this  
macknnc

Wondering if this is possible...

good friend of mine was a helluva lion hunter, cleaned out a lot on the San Carlos for cattle ranchers, had great luck with a lost beef calf call

you know cows, like Bessie, well when they have a calf and it gets lost it has a distinct moo it makes, that is what Paul would use

Calling in a lion with an electronic caller doesn't really take much talent. Knowing where the lions are and being patient is 9/10ths of the battle. Show me a hunter who hand calls one in and successfully harvests and he has my utmost respect. THAT is no small feat.

Wow! I think any lion any time is a feat! I killed a lion while on a deer hunt..Glassed it up, stalked it, shot it... Guess that means I suck as a hunter as I didn't hunt that lion exclusively with a hand call. Thank god I'm not trying to get your respect or your approval i just like to hunt! Good hunting.

• Like 3

I called in two mountain lions a couple of years apart in the early 1960s while using hand calls. Both times, I was so surprised to see a lion that I flubbed the shots. I also used hand calls to call black-backed jackals in South Africa in the 1980s. Predator calling hadn't yet reached that corner of the world, but my South African friends had been reading about it. One of those friends and I went out one night (it was legal) and stood in the back of his truck and set a spotlight so that it was pointed straight up, and we shot jackals when we could see their eyes as they approached. After a leopard circled the truck, I never again called in Africa. This was in what then was Zululand, and it would have been illegal for me to shoot it. There was a quota on leopards and my friend was not a licensed professional hunter. I was relieved that the leopard decided against jumping into the truck with us. They have been known to do that at times.----- Bill Quimby

• Like 1

like anything else its mainly LUCK- and a fair amount of knowledge

yes lions can be called in- in many different ways

I was lucky enough to spot a lion while coues hunting - watched it for over an hour. It happened to end up in the canyon below me. I had a circe rabbit call in pocket - I called like 15 min none stop - next thing I saw on a small bliuff 50 yrds below me was the lion peeking over the rock pile , it then presented a good shot -

I always have a lion tag and a circe call in my pocket, when I'm doing just about any kind of hunting , you just never know when one will showup