Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Tree stand or ground blind?

I have a location that i want to bear hunt and i have a location for a ground blind or tree stand and i wanted to see what your opinion is for hunting bear. If it was deer hunting pretty sure i would choose ground blind but for bear not sure lol

Ground blind. Keep it interesting!

• Like 1

If your location is a water source and he is coming into a specific spot then a ground blind will do but a tree stand will give you a better advantage and more shooting lanes. Good luck and keep us posted how it turns out. :)

TJ

Guest oneshot

Whatever will give you the best angle/most conceilment without being jammed-up or picked-off by the critter your hunting...

My A#1prime spot for archery Bear this coming season is a small, tight saddle where a brush blind just wont work because a bear could pass within feet of the blind, so I'll have to hoof a ladder stand into there to get above sight-lines, even though that will limit my shot angle/distance...

Thank you guys for input. I allready have a ground blind and i have never shot from or owned a tree stand so if i do go with that i will have to practice some shooting out of it. I do agree in my spot it will give me a more shooting lanes. as for scent control the wind is usually blowing up this canyon and the bears are coming in from downhill and uphill what would work better? Would iy be better to already get my scent up in air in tree stand or try and keep it to minimum with ground blind because i know there is no real complete scent control. I am huntin them like i would deer but not sure how much i am over thinking this.

Tree stand was the answer for my bear last year. I spent hours and hours in ground blinds and pop up blinds, year after year, and would never see the bear I was trying for. While up in a tree stand at the same location, I see my bear coming, it stops at about 100 yards from the water, circles the entire area at 100 yards out, gets to where it started the circle and did not pick up my scent, then came right in under the tree stand. As it turns out the bear was smelling me in the gound blinds for all those hours.

My ground blinds are made from downed timber and available vegetation. I shower in scent killer and do all my laundry in scent killer detergent as well. I also spray my clothes down in scent killer, unless I have on scent blocker clothing. That combination works well for me, as I don't trust commercial blinds for bear, unless I use scent-killer all over them inside and out on each trip I use them.

Thank you guys for reply i am hunting them like deer but wanted to see if i am missing something. Was wondering sense heat rises our scent would it be better for a treestand or ground blind and i think that was answered. During my past experiences deer hunting in ground blind is no matter how much scent killer you use and tried to do everything right those deer will smell you know matter what. And u just got to have wind right. Sense i am having bear comin in from different directions i think i would rather start with my scent higher and give me a better shot at them not winding me. Yes?no?