Sign in to follow this  
mcgrew24

advice on unit 28

I've always hunted southern units so I decided to go north of I10 this year and drew unit 28 mule deer Halloween weekend. I've read the information game and fish provide on their website but was hoping to get some advice from someone who's hunted this unit before and are familiar with it. Not looking for anyone's honey hole just need a place to start looking for deer. Also what are deer numbers like and what are the chances of finding mature deer. Thanks in advance. Josh.

28 has seen a huge decline in mule deer numbers over the last 10-15 years. last time i hunted it was a couple years ago, and saw one buck in 4 days. Mt. Guthry is a decent place to start.

I've always hunted southern units so I decided to go north of I10 this year and drew unit 28 mule deer Halloween weekend. I've read the information game and fish provide on their website but was hoping to get some advice from someone who's hunted this unit before and are familiar with it. Not looking for anyone's honey hole just need a place to start looking for deer. Also what are deer numbers like and what are the chances of finding mature deer. Thanks in advance. Josh.

Had to edit .. wrong link ... The best place to find where to start for all big game in all units is on the Game and Fish Website... http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units.shtml

It is a big unit and the deer population is way down bud. One cool thing you may tty if you r feeling adventurous is to go through the flats and look for a decent track and then track him up. Its not easy at all but there are some real decent bucks that live in the flats and if you have the patience you may just get a crack at a big Buck. Good luck.