By Darr Colburn

DSC_0510.JPG
I got my new KUIU Ultra 6000 pack in the mail the other day and ripped open the box like a kid at Christmas.  I put the pack on and was immediately impressed.  I can honestly say this is the first pack I have ever put on that I felt fit me perfectly.  The frame seems to be a little narrower and the shoulder straps and hip belt both fit and rode where they should.  The second thing that blew me away was the weight of the pack.  The Ultra 6000 weighs a mere 3 lbs 9 ounces.  I like the new clips they put on the straps.  I had the Ultra 6000 out the other day while scouting for sheep and it worked great.  I can tell you that this pack will be my go to pack for this season.  The size and weight of the Ultra 6000 make it feel like a small day pack.  KUIU hit a home run in my opinion with the new Ultra series of packs.  I ordered the bow holder, rifle holder and the hydration bag holder along with my pack.  This pack is priced right at $350. 

DSC_0534.JPG

DSC_0514.JPG

DSC_0515+(2).JPG
Small light frame along with padded shoulder and hip straps.

KUIU+Bow+Holder.JPG

KUIU+Rifle+Holder.JPGDSC_0505.JPG
KUIU+Bladder+Holder.JPG

View the full article

Thanks for the review. This is the pack I'm looking at getting for backpacking Coues deer. As there isn't a place to try before you buy, I have a couple questions. Do you think the carbon frame is tough enough to handle the abuse of coming out heavy with gear and a boned out whitey as compared to an "h" frame? Does it flex too much with heavy weight? 70-90 lbs. is the fabric tough enough to handle the az brush from catclaw to manzanita etc? How did you like the lumbar pad? I've heard it has a "weird" feeling.. I just wish there was a place in north phx or anywhere in az for that matter that I could try before I buy. Anyways, thanks in advance. Eric

Eric,

I think it would be a perfect coues deer pack! I am planning on using my pack during sheep season and on my son's late coues deer hunt. I live in North Phoenix (I-17 & Carefree Hwy area) and would be happy to meet you so you can try it out for yourself. The pack sells itself!

My buddy just got the same pack an got to try it against my mystery ranch crew cab. I think I'll make the switch which is saying a lot because I love my pack. But for how well the kuiu pack carried a pair of kowas swaro 15s and 10s on top of the everyday gear we stuff in our packs its a no brainer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. This is the pack I'm looking at getting for backpacking Coues deer. As there isn't a place to try before you buy, I have a couple questions. Do you think the carbon frame is tough enough to handle the abuse of coming out heavy with gear and a boned out whitey as compared to an "h" frame? Does it flex too much with heavy weight? 70-90 lbs. is the fabric tough enough to handle the az brush from catclaw to manzanita etc? How did you like the lumbar pad? I've heard it has a "weird" feeling.. I just wish there was a place in north phx or anywhere in az for that matter that I could try before I buy. Anyways, thanks in advance. Eric

Think it's pretty tough.

• Like 1

Eric I think the pack and frame are plenty tough. Send me a pm if you want to meet up and play with the pack. Huntjunkie I think the pack is big enough for a 5-6 day backpack hunt.

Desertbull I have both the Outdoorsmans and the KUIU Ultra. Both are great packs and you can't go wrong with either. Try them both on and see which one you like.