Sign in to follow this  
injunjon

Remington 700 M40 Long Range

I've been looking at these rifles for a while now and I'm a little conflicted. Has anyone had any experience with the set up? Is the extra weight a problem with the hunting up in the mountains around here? Are these good hunting guns or primarily "bench" guns? I was looking at the 7mm mag and 300 WM for a good all around big game rifle.

I love mine. Modeled mine after the m40a3 set-ups used overseas. Mine is chambered in .308, feel comfortable shooting at game to about 500-600ish yards. My elk last year at 301 yards, double lung.

Extra weight definitely is tiresome, but I pack around 40 pounds in my pack, and the rifle is in at 16 1/2 pounds. Just get a nice sling/pack for the rifle, and truck on.

post-12232-0-61544500-1407769080_thumb.jpg

Not that exact model but still Remington 700 in 308 with the m40 stock that weighs 13lbs loaded as shown. I have used it for 4 seasons but am now looking at something lighter. With an eberlestock backpack using a scabbard it is not a problem but carrying it off center on the side of a pack was uncomfortable. Shooting with the weight of it was a dream, especially with the suppressor ( only the last year not all 4) Hearing the complaints from my hunting partner who carried the rifle while I carried the deer was not so much fun.

post-12606-0-98522000-1407772341_thumb.jpg