Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Supermoon and calling

Took advantage of the Supermoon last nite by driving out to the Hummingbird Springs Wilderness to do some predator calling. Parked the rig and hoofed it down the trail looking for a suitable spot for my stand.

In the sand of the washes I crossed, there was a healthy variety of deer, sheep, lion and donkey tracks.

Was getting darker, moon rising and I was on a rocky volcanic hill with good visibility to the north. I stopped and turned 180 degrees around and suddenly saw I was not alone on the trail.

At the same instant I turned, I must have spooked the critter following me. Got a glimpse of some kind of large blonde varmit with a long fuzzy tail that fit a lions description, about 80' behind me, leaping off the trail and into the brush. I saw its tail a couple times thru the brush as I dug my hand caller out of my pocket to try and get it to come back.. It was one of those moments that gets your attention, for sure.

I went ahead a little further up the trail and set up an E caller about 70 yards away and put my back to a wash bank. By 11pm, I had a grey fox, horned owl and several coyotes come in for a visit. Was just bright out enough to see critters 100-150'.

But the hike back out wasn't much fun. Was tired and the adrenalin high from predator calling and now having to avoid several rattlesnakes in the trail, was wearing me out. Loved the supermoon last nite, but so did the snakes.

• Like 1

I was all in until you mentioned snakes! I HATE Snakes!!!!!!!!!!

Even the lion following you isn't as scary as the SNAKES!

Sounds like interesting night. Glad nothing ate you or bit you.

• Like 4

Only trouble I got in was when I had to wake up the ol lady at 2am cuz I forgot my house key.

• Like 2

The points I set out to make concerning the dangers of night hunts:

A) Keep an eye open behind you,

B) B) B) Keep an eye open below you.

C) Keep an eye on your keys or you might get both eyes closed for you.

Ready to go again, could use some extra eyes, any takers? B)

PM me

• Like 1

Since you did your set at the local sun city golf course it was most likley a pomeranian or a house cat following you!!!! Maybe a 86 year old cougar. LOL

That moon was awesome for sure, I was able to follow a lightly used trail with no headlight for several miles.

• Like 3

Since you did your set at the local sun city golf course it was most likley a pomeranian or a house cat following you!!!! Maybe a 86 year old cougar. LOL

That moon was awesome for sure, I was able to follow a lightly used trail with no headlight for several miles.

Must be one of them Saber toothed cougars! Or is that toothless cougar?

Haha, even toothless cougars are good for something.

If y'all happen to locate Obama's balls, strap 'em on and come along sometime. :ph34r:

• Like 1

First of all you can't come across something that didn't exist.

Second of all I ain't afraid of cougars. Even the Saber Toothed variety.

Thirdly You mentioned Rattlesnakes! I HATE RATTLESNAKES! It's been almost 40 years since I got bit but the memory is VERY fresh. Once was enough and I was very lucky that it wasn't too bad of a bite. I Guess I am afraid of those slithery little suckers. It'd take a lot more than Obama Cods to get over that fear.

• Like 1

I hear ya Mocha, I've had some very close calls with the legless dragons. Was even considering postponing my excursions until the snakes all put themselves away for the winter. Been lucky so far, only pain I felt was being bucked off a couple times and sitting on some cholla.

Oh well, another CWT member and I going out later, wish us luck.