Sign in to follow this  
bvanetten

Hybrid?

We spoke with a Game and Fish biologist yesterday. She said the only way to truly know is to send in a sample. But she also said there is a real good chance it is a hybrid. For a couple of years now we're seen Coues bucks running with mulie doe's in Dec/Jan. She confirmed that the area where this guy was spotted has hybrids, and it's more common due to the Coues taking over traditional mulie territory. Hybrids can look 100% like one or the other. Hybrids do not reproduce so there will never be a large # of them. And it's usually Coues bucks mating with mulie doe's that create the hybrids. Being archery season and any antlered deer can be taken in the unit it doesn't matter much but what if it was rifle season? We asked her that and she had to call around looking for an answer. Ends up Game and FIsh does not have an official policy on shooting hybrids! She said they need one as more and more hybrids are being spotted now that Whitetails are slowly encroaching into traditional Mulie range.

Personally, if it were rifle whitetail season I would have chosen to not shoot. But if Mulie season I would have.

We spoke with a Game and Fish biologist yesterday. She said the only way to truly know is to send in a sample. But she also said there is a real good chance it is a hybrid. For a couple of years now we're seen Coues bucks running with mulie doe's in Dec/Jan. She confirmed that the area where this guy was spotted has hybrids, and it's more common due to the Coues taking over traditional mulie territory. Hybrids can look 100% like one or the other. Hybrids do not reproduce so there will never be a large # of them. And it's usually Coues bucks mating with mulie doe's that create the hybrids. Being archery season and any antlered deer can be taken in the unit it doesn't matter much but what if it was rifle season? We asked her that and she had to call around looking for an answer. Ends up Game and FIsh does not have an official policy on shooting hybrids! She said they need one as more and more hybrids are being spotted now that Whitetails are slowly encroaching into traditional Mulie range.

Personally, if it were rifle whitetail season I would have chosen to not shoot. But if Mulie season I would have.

that thing is not even close to a hybrid. it looks exactly as a mule deer should. be like confusing a largemouth bass and a rainbow trout.

• Like 2

I guess I just don't see what you do on that buck. He looks exactly Like every other 3 point mule deer I have ever shot. The one side forks a fourth point exactly like it should. As far as I can tell there is not anything about that deer that would make me think hybrid...my feeling is way too many people are looking for anything about a buck to bring up the hybrid debate. Again, without any doubt at all that is 100% a mule deer.

• Like 2

I guess I just don't see what you do on that buck. He looks exactly Like every other 3 point mule deer I have ever shot. The one side forks a fourth point exactly like it should. As far as I can tell there is not anything about that deer that would make me think hybrid...my feeling is way too many people are looking for anything about a buck to bring up the hybrid debate. Again, without any doubt at all that is 100% a mule deer.

It's the left side that got us thinking. You are right, the rest of that deer screams mule deer.

What I find interesting is what G&F had to say. The genetics aspect of this hybrid thing is cool. And now that we are seeing more whitetail encroach on mule deer territory, statistically we're going to have more opportunities for this to happen.

I'm curious what different looks are possible. I bet you could have a hybrid that looks 100% like one or the other and you would never know.

It's just interesting to me. So if it looks like one or the other shoot it and tag it appropriately, then enjoy the steaks!

Just looks like a mule deer to me, but here is an article on hybrids you might enjoy. One way to tell a hybrid without a tissue sample is to look at the length of the gland on the outside of the lower legs. It's longer in a mulie (4 to 6 inches) than a coues (1 inch). The same gland is 2 to 4 inches long in a hybrid.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/tails-with-a-dark-side-the-truth-about-whitetail-mule-deer-hybrids/

100% mule deer Not I repeat Not a coues hybred