Sign in to follow this  
milquetoast

Requesting help/advice for Unit 31

Greetings, all. FNG here, directed to this forum by "Edge."

Finally, after a few years of trying, I have been drawn for the late December hunt. That's the only time my grandson is out of school and able to go. This is his first hunt of any kind, and since he is about to turn 18 and head off to college, this my be both my first and last chance to go hunting with my grandson.

We have been drawn for Unit 31: Safford/Wilcox/Mt. Graham. I have never been there; I know nothing about the area. I will go there in late October for a scouting/camping trip, but it's a big unit and I'm not sure where to start.

If any of you are familiar with the area, could you tell me some likely places to camp, and also give me exact GPS coordinates of where the deer will be? (JK :))

Thank you very much.

Use the game and fish write up for a good starting point...

The map mentioned at the end is on the GF web site

White-tailed Deer

Overview: These deer are found throughout the mountainous areas of the unit and in the lower elevations north of the Aravaipa Canyon and NE of Klondyke. The rough, limited access areas of the Santa Teresa’s Mts. and Pinaleno Mts. offer some remote hunting opportunities. Early season hunting is possible in the cool timbered areas along Hwy. 366 (Swift Trail) for those hunter skilled in hunting the timber types. This area is very steep and the 8000'+ elevation makes hiking difficult but provides a lightly hunted deer resource. Still-hunting and glassing are the most successful hunting techniques for all units.
Areas: Tripp Canyon - Take SR 70 to west of Safford between Pima and Ft. Thomas. Go southwest on Klondyke road to FS 351, follow FS 351 and hunt side canyons and upper reaches.
The Eureka Springs Ranch was sold and several new roads have been placed throughout the ranch. Several of these roads are located on private property and are not accessible to the public. If you have hunted this area in the past it is recommended to do some pre-season scouting.

Klondyke Area - Take SR 70 to Klondyke road between Pima and Ft. Thomas. Follow to intersection of Bonita road. Go North towards Aravaipa Canyon Area. Access changes from year to year. If you plan to hunt these areas in 2014 it is recommended that you visit the area prior to you hunt opening.

Pre-season scouting and good pair of optics are essential to success when hunting whitetail. Also, obtaining a Coronado National Forest map for the Safford district would be very beneficial. This map will provide you with access points and land status throughout the Unit.

Hey Milquetoast, welcome aboard.

Check back regularly as hunters read your post, many are out of town flinging pointy sticks.

Whish I could help more but haven't hunted that unit since the mid '70's in bellbottoms.

Can anyone help this good guy have good luck huntin with his grandson? Feel free to PM.

For your once in a lifetime hunt you might think about talking to a outfitter that lives in Wilcox. I cant remember his name right now but he has been on this site in the past. Maybe someone knows him.

milquetoast

I have the same tag but 2 hunts before you.

Your late Oct. scouting trip will help out a ton.

There are whitetail from the mesquite flats all around Mt. Graham

to the top of Mt. Graham. The opportunity to get away from people is great

because of the rugged canyons. Plus there is the Santa Teresa's.

I would just pick a spot or 2 and focus on them .

Jeff

I know a little. But let me start with this; if you have a grandson who is 18, how good of hiking shape are you guys in?

No worries on that score. He is a triathlete, on the water polo team, all rock hard rippling muscle. Disgusting.

I am obviously not as fit as him, but most guys my age would kill to be in my condition. :) Of course, if I run out of gas, he can carry me out.