Sign in to follow this  
joelpresmyk8

19A Coues?

19a doesn't need anymore tags!!! If they take some tags from the current number to accommodate the December tags that would be okay, but you know they will also put in an October hunt. Soon the tag numbers will be crazier than they already are.

I agree, they need like 75 less tags in 19A. I would be very against an Oct whitetail hunt in 19A. Most of the deer harvested would be too young for the unit to support that type of a hunt. They first need to build up the population and not go crazy. That was my whole point of my posts so far. Sorry if anyone was confused.

As far as I know coues bucks don't have babies? It might affect the trophy potential, but the population will remain stable as long as they don't kill does.

I've hunted 19a quite a bit and have seen a good number of whitetail. sounds like someone is so adament that there aren't enough whitetail to hunt in this unit, in hopes that it will preserve a honey hole of his own? whitetail have been taken in the Mingus area for MANY years. someone killed a monster (i believe 130" type) there in like the 60's. the coues there are not "new" by any means. the area just won't ever support a huge population of them. there are fair numbers in certain pockets of the unit

I mostly hunt 8, 6A, 6B, or 21 for whitetail. Last year I got an old 107" buck in 6A (at one point this buck was over 120", but got more mass and less length) after waiting years to get a tag. The place the buck hanged was not very conducive to archery. I hunt 19A for mule deer since I know of a few 180" plus mule deer. Every year I see 100" Coues in 19A but I have never seen anything close to 130". Now an area with a 130" would be a honey hole. To address the issue of bucks and fawns. You have to have breading occur to get a fawn. I have seen around 17 adult whitetail does this summer (I have seen well over 100 WT does in other units), ONLY 3 fawns (what is wrong with that picture), one 80" 3x3, and two 2x3 bucks. Only one of these bucks was near the fawns. No spikes or 2x2 bucks. Lions will kill a lot of bucks in a short period of time. I have seen 2 different lions in the last year in this unit. One was after shooting light in my headlamp and the other a mile away. I have seen coyotes hunting deer twice this summer. One time was while talking with a friend about the coyote problem in the area. I think that he was a little surprised to see 3 coyotes after 1 mule deer doe. So 19A has some issues that might not be realized by people new to the area or don't live in the area. I live in 19A next to prime whitetail habitat. I glass the area about 4 days a week with a Swarvoski STX 25-60 so I am confident that I know what hangs out in the area. I can easily glass up 2-3 bucks a day in units 8, 6B, 6A, 21, and 22 if I get off the roads a couple miles.