Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Picking Prickly Pears

Hey All,

My hubby and I went out the other evening and picked some prickly pear fruits....they looked amazing! It's a great time of year to go gather some. We use the juice for a variety of things....smoothies, margaritas, and a very nice breakfast juice. However, these were picked so he could juice them and then make his famous BBQ sauce with it. It's my favorite!

post-1-0-03198700-1411597652_thumb.jpg

For those wondering ppear juice is high in Vitamin C and apparently helps control blood sugar.

My husband likes to use a couple small branches of desert broom to brush off the spines on the fruit before picking (see pic below). Then uses tongs to grab and twist off the fruit and put it in a 5 gal bucket.

post-1-0-99222000-1411597731_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-40725700-1411597671_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-81030400-1411597493_thumb.jpg

How does one find the nutritional content of a prickly pear fruit? Google? Or do you send one off to a lab somewhere

I googled it a few years ago and was luck to find that nice nutrition table for it!

• Like 1

My husband has used to juice to make a tie-dyed shirt...he wears this tshirt when teaching the prickly pear juicing classes at Boyce Thompson Arboretum in Superior. I love the color, unfortunately, we can't find any way to make the color set. We have tried the usual methods, but nothing seems to work. If anyone ever figures out how to keep the color in the shirt when it's washed, please let me know!

post-1-0-10093200-1411684558_thumb.jpg

So you all never wash it???? Gross! Jk. I pick them yearly, torch the stickers off, cut in half and use a spoon to get the "meat" out. Yields less juice but comes out clear. I like Amanda and her hubby's way better though. I just gotta pave my driveway now.