azhunter85

Starting point for a 260 remington

H4350 is the go to powder. Start at 41 grains and work up.

Very similar to 6.5x55 which I'm very familiar with. 140 SSTs shoot great with IMR4350 and 120 ballistic tips shoot great with Varget or 4064. Unless your looking for maximum long range potential( ballistic coefficient) don't be afraid to try the 120s. If I remember right the 260 has just slightly less case capacity than the 6.5x55, so I'm sure those powders will serve you well. I've killed several animals with both bullets and they both perform very well on deer sized game from 100-540 yards(ranges I've killed at). Large mule deer was DRT at 325 with the 120 baliistic tips. I love the 6.5s.

I shoot 140 Amax's with 41.5gr of H4350 going 2750fps in a 24" 8 twist barrel.......not super fast but dang accurate.

Thanks guys, I was very close with what I was wanting with your recommendations. I'm having it built by my buddy and I'm pretty excited to get out and shoot it. Hopefully it's all ready for my left over whitey hunt. I just wanted it for carrying on my pack into back country. So I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!