Sign in to follow this  
CEI

Most hunters are not honest.

He makes some good points, but generally speaking I'll have to disagree: every hunter, and fisherman for that matter, I've ever met was honest as the rain, never ever prone to exaggerate or stretch the truth in the least. When it comes to the integrity of their word, they're second only to defense lawyers, car sales men, and dare I say (dare! dare!) politicians.

Amanda, can you give this guy a time out for saying something so utterly absurd???

I liked it. And it was an honest opinion. I killed my biggest buck in 1984 (107 net). I have a hunting buddy that pulls my chain saying, " why haven't you killed a bigger one yet if you're soooo good?". I've seen bigger, but chit happens. And you can't kill a 110 if you keep shooting 100"ers. In the "trophy hunting world".....a wall with consistent book deer would probably consider you as a professional hunter, a dang good cheater, or one lucky SOB.

Come on, I haven't busted your balls in years!! just took me awhile to understand, why!! lol!!

• Like 1

Yup I thought I was the $ h! T when i got my early bull tag this year till I came home with nothing but memories. Learned a lot and now I know what I need to work on and what to expect next time. I don't think the article was a dig at anyone just that sometimes we can think we have every angle worked out. We kid ourselves thinking we have the upper hand on a hunt when we never really do.

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

you have to have confidence..... i dont care who you are.. hunting is a dynamic.. specifically bow hunting and you will always be humbled...

pride before fall

• Like 1

I 100% agree that you need confidence but over confidence or not being honest with your own abilities is what I think the topic was about.

The whole "honesty" part dealt with clients overstating their physical and technical hunting abilities to their guides, and could be applied to other hunters simply talking the talk with their buddies. I liked the fact that this article included the "luck" part of hunting, which is happening to be in the right place at the right time, which other hunters could look at and claim that it was their "experience and skill" that put them there, not fate or luck.

Having experience and skill might increase your odds at bagging a critter, but animals can act randomly and show up nearly anywhere at anytime and the luckiest most inexperienced hunter with no Swaros just might fill his tag! I know, it happened to me once!

Fun read, no bashing towards anyone, just a standard opinionated essay to help us each reflect on our own hunting progression.