Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Dutch oven upside down cake

Cold rainy weather today has put my hunt for trophy rabbits on hold. Got a good mesquite fire going and I'm about ready to cook a whole chicken (split in half) also have the Dutch oven heating up for a pineapple upside down cake. I enjoy cooking and especially enjoy "campfire" cooking. Simple recipe but you must start with a well seasoned Dutch oven!!! The one I use has only had baked goods in it since its birth and my great grandad bought it for my great grandma in the 19 teens some time. So it is well seasoned to say the least. You can go homemade as I have those recipes but I prefer boxed since its easy. 1 box yellow cake mix, half stick of butter, brown sugar, 3 eggs, water, maraschino cherries, pineapple rings in juice and oil. Mix the cake mix as the box describes but use pineapple juice as a substitute for 2/3 of the water. Let the batter sit. In a warm Dutch oven melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Put your pineapple rings in. As many that will fit in your oven? And a cherry in the center of each I like to dice some pineapple and cinnamon in my cake batter as well. Pour your batter slowly on top of it all. Now the tricky part. I don't use charcoal because I'm cheap and wood around here is free. Don't know the the amount of charcoal you'd use but with oak or mesquite coals I'll put some sand down, a 1 1/2" bed of coals on the sand then my oven. Cover the lid with 1/2" of coals and let cook. Warm days about 35-45 min. Colder days (under 60) around 45-55 min. Let cool a bit when done and turn it over on a cookie sheet or foil when done.

• Like 2

Dutch oven cooking is on my list of things to learn. First thing Im making is a pinapple upside down cake after reading that.