Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Foot Lbs Energy

You guys rock, thanks...! Great answers. Yep. I guess that's the good thing about long distance shooting. Hard to nail the target, so hitting the chrony shouldn't be too difficult. More difficult shooting above it, and hoping the bullet doesn't drop right into the chrony. LOL...thanks again

What I wanna know is why it matters? It has virtually no relevance to hunting. When you shoot something you hit soft tissue. Ft/lb is dealing with solid hitting solid. If you have 1000 ft/lbs at whatever range it basically means it will move 1000 lbs one foot. Imagine you have a 1000 lb weight suspended by a rope. Of you hit it with 1000 lbs of force, theoretically it will make it swing one foot. It doesn't work that way on an animal. If it did when you hit an elk with 3000 FT lbs, it would knock him 3 feet. They don't even move as the bullet goes through em. It's just numbers on paper and there is no way to calculate what kinda energy it displaces into an animal. Worry about accuracy and using a decent bullet that expands big and stays together. This stuff about needing so much energy at whatever range for different animals is BS. You might use it at some sort of reference, but it has no relevance to killing an animal. Lark.

What I wanna know is why it matters? It has virtually no relevance to hunting. When you shoot something you hit soft tissue. Ft/lb is dealing with solid hitting solid. If you have 1000 ft/lbs at whatever range it basically means it will move 1000 lbs one foot. Imagine you have a 1000 lb weight suspended by a rope. Of you hit it with 1000 lbs of force, theoretically it will make it swing one foot. It doesn't work that way on an animal. If it did when you hit an elk with 3000 FT lbs, it would knock him 3 feet. They don't even move as the bullet goes through em. It's just numbers on paper and there is no way to calculate what kinda energy it displaces into an animal. Worry about accuracy and using a decent bullet that expands big and stays together. This stuff about needing so much energy at whatever range for different animals is BS. You might use it at some sort of reference, but it has no relevance to killing an animal. Lark.

I guess I'm confused and now lost on this matter. If ft/lbs doesn't matter, with bullet energy, that doesn't really matter, isn't there some type of energy that is doing damage because of ft/lbs??? If I compare my .270 to my buddies 30-378 his ft/lbs is the same at 700 yards then my .270 is at 200 yards. They were rough numbers but to keep things simple that's were we are at. So it should be the same knock down power beside bullet size and design. But if you compare those bullets to a gelatin and see if what does more of some type of hydro shock to the inside I guess you can compare. So my question is this, and I'm having a hard time to put this into words; is there no knock down power behind the bullet or does it only compare to speed and size and bullet design on impact???????!