Sign in to follow this  
Tdub

300 H&H Powders?

My dad has a 300 H&H that I want to start reloading for, everything that I have read says you can shoot 150-220 grain bullets but that you are wasting what the gun is designed for if you shoot anything less then a 200 grain bullet. I bought some 210 VLD's and emailed Berger to see if they had some load data on H1000 or Retumbo and they recommended not using these powders. They say that there is not enough internal capacity to use these poweders with this bullet. I don't know if it is a long shot but I would like to see if anyone has any experience with reloading for this round and these powders, or anything they have found to work well? They recommend the basics like H4831 and RL22. The capacity is very similiar to the 300 win mag as well as the powders they suggest.

Thanks for any help!

TDub

Yes, that cartridge wants a heavier bullet. Better to think of it as a super 30-06 rather than a 300 Win Mag. That is, you're shooting a 200g bullet at the same velocity the 30-06 puts out a 165g. I get 2800fps chronographed in a Ruger #1, 26in barrel, IMR 4350, Nosler Accubonds, Nosler brass. Not a max load. Max load in mine opened up the primer pockets.

Yes, that cartridge wants a heavier bullet. Better to think of it as a super 30-06 rather than a 300 Win Mag. That is, you're shooting a 200g bullet at the same velocity the 30-06 puts out a 165g. I get 2800fps chronographed in a Ruger #1, 26in barrel, IMR 4350, Nosler Accubonds, Nosler brass. Not a max load. Max load in mine opened up the primer pockets.

Have you tried other powders? What grain bullets are you shooting? I'm a novice when it comes to reloading and thought I might do better with a slower burning powder. I might be one of the lucky ones that can shoot the same powder out of all the guns I have! Thanks for the feed back. I know this it not a common round shot anymore but if anyone has played around with this and has any information I would like to hear from you!

I also tried IMR 4320. All with 200g bullets. The 4350 was just better in my rifle. The Ruger #1 is a strange beast that takes some tuning for barrel harmonics till it settles in. You didn't say, but I'm guessing your's is a bolt action, prob M70, with a 24in bbl.

I also tried IMR 4320. All with 200g bullets. The 4350 was just better in my rifle. The Ruger #1 is a strange beast that takes some tuning for barrel harmonics till it settles in. You didn't say, but I'm guessing your's is a bolt action, prob M70, with a 24in bbl.

I did fail to mention that it is Winchester M70 24 bbl. I know that my grandfather used mainly 4831 with 180grn bullet, I am not sure how far he went with it as regards to grouping them. I am wanting to shoot as far as I can, so looking to really dial it in. Since I am a novice and it seems that many try different powders without load data is there a way I can possiby figure out starting points with these two powders H100 or Retumbo or would I be wise to just go with what is suggested in the manual? I am not wanting to do anything crazy but want to see if I can get better results out of a slower burning powder.... Maybe I can't according to Burger but for some reason I don't believe this. You have seemed to do well with these two powders, so maybe I am overlooking what I might be able to do with 4350 or 4831.

I know h1000 works with 180's. Id look at r22, 25, retumbo, h4831 with the lighter bullets.

This was my exact thought but this was the response I got from Berger.

Thank you for getting with us at Berger Bullets. We do not list any load data for use with these two powders in the .300 H & H Magnum. They do not lend themselves well for this application. There is simply not enough internal case capacity to use these powders, to the point that you would not be able to get the proper charges into the case let alone be able to seat a bullet properly if you could compress the charge enough. Please do not hesitate to get back with us if we can be of further assistance for you.

Tdub- sounds like you are shooting at targets. i would start with the accuracy load from a nosler or sierra reloading manual. i would load them .030 off the lands to start. and i would use a WLRM primer. for powder i would start with H4350. a great classic.

Tdub- sounds like you are shooting at targets. i would start with the accuracy load from a nosler or sierra reloading manual. i would load them .030 off the lands to start. and i would use a WLRM primer. for powder i would start with H4350. a great classic.

Probably what I will do, I will just sale the other powders and focus on H4350 or H4831SC.

The other thing that helps is that you can actually FIND and BUY 4350. It's in stock with the various online dealers as well as at Bruno's.

Yeah, I have a lot of this stocked up, and I have seen plenty on the shelves lately. Have you ever tried IMR 7828 or 7828 SSC?