STOMP442

Vortex Optics: A Question

I don't know, the first PST we got seemed inconsistent so we took it back and exchanged it. sighted it in, shot some practice and did good. went to shoot my deer, hit 6ft left in no wind. it was probably me so it doesn't mean anything, but I think theyre a glorified BSA and im done with them. anyone want to buy a PST?

I think there's some truth to the Vortex coolaide but there's not much in the price range if u want tactical turrets. Leupold doesn't seem to be paying much attention to this market (they are still using AO vs side focus on many models and you have to go to the custom shop for turrets). Ive never owned a Sightron but hear nothing but good stuff about them. My experience is that the viper line is either good or bad, you will eventually get a decent scope/Bino/spotter but u might have to send it back a few times. All of the Razor line of products I've played with have been top notch.

I love vortex....on my whitetail hunt my kaibabs fell off my outdoorsman stud and landed right on the dang eyeglass just completely ruined them on the first day of hunt. was my fault completely. I sent them in to get fixed and costs nothing too me at all, and now am ready to get back in there. With warranty and service like that, I'm sold.

Both my babies have the new Sightron SIII 6-24X50 FFP LR MOA scopes. Both are suppose to have 80 moa of elevation but BOTH of mine have 95 moa. I also have a SFP SIII 6-24x50 LR MOA it is supposed to have 100 moa and it has 110 moa. Now as far as tracking I did a tall target test on all three of my SIII, my Valdada, and a friends Nightforce NXS. A tall target test will tell you after adjusting 30 moa if your scope is a true 1.047 moa or if it is off (will also help to determine if your scope is level with its level). After running the test the SIII were at .998765 of an MOA which means it has less than 1% error in tracking which according to Applied ballistics books you do not need to correct for anything less than 1%. The Valdada had .983255 of an MOA which means it has 2% error. This will need to be inputted into your ballistics program. Now you ready for this we did this test twice and confirmed both times that the Nightforce was at .968655 of an MOA which is 4% error. It is fine that the scope has this you just HAVE to input it into your program to correct your drop. In order to do the tall target test you have to have a 300' tape measure and get down to the EXACT 1/4 inch if not the test is flawed. Sightron does all work in house and has a custom shop in house (to customize your scope YOUR WAY). They have Exact track tracking system, GREAT warranty, and the best part the FFP scopes you can find for 850.00 to 950.00 almost everywhere online the SFP scopes you can find for 750.00 to 850.00. They also only weigh 21 oz and have MIL scopes.

post-2094-0-26697600-1416585989_thumb.jpg

post-2094-0-38541500-1416586003_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sightron is at the top of my list for my nearly complete build. Id really like to get my hands on one to check out, really good military discount as well for my fellow vets out there

• Like 1

Leupold offers the VXII target which has MOA Turrets and adjustable objective. Having it on the side is nice but far from a deal breaker for me. You can find these from anywhere between $500 - $600 and are much more reliable than the Vortex and weigh a lot less. The VXIIIs are under a grand at most places and really not that much more money than the Vortex PST line. The Sightron scopes are really nice too, I like them a lot and they are a comparable price point as well.

• Like 1

The ford festiva comparison isn't really a good one.... Vipers vs swaros is more like getting a base model work truck vs a king ranch.yeah the king ranch looks better,drives smoother,performs a little better.but the work truck is still a solid truck that I should be able to get the job done with just fine.

Comparing the Vipers to the Swaros is like comparing a 2WD Ford Ranger to the King Ranch Edition F250 diesel crew cab 4x4. There is no comparison between a $500 pair of Vortex and a $1700 pair of Swaros.

Comparing the Razors to the Swaros is more along the lines of your comparison. $1200 to $1700.

I agree the Vortex (Vipers or Razors) are a workhorse, and would serve a lot of people very well who cannot afford a higher end glass. But for those that want exceptional glass, save your pennies for another 6 months to a year and pop for the Swaros. You will be very glad you did. I have never heard of guys selling their Swaros to fund a pair of Vortex. Unless it is the older model non-HD Swaros for sale, but...the guys selling those, 90% of the time are just upgrading to the new HD Swaros.

No doubt,swaros are the best. But my vipers are a lot more like my old 4x4 idi turbo diesel then a 2wd ranger. Rugged,reliable,and more then enough to get the job done.and at 1/4 the price.... But I agree lance,if I could afford em I'd have swaros too.