208muley

iPad,topo and goggle earth

Thanks for all the replies. I now have plenty of ideas to figure out.

The Topo Maps App for iphone has been on my last two iphones and is now running on my 5S. This app also works on an iPad, but you have to get one with the cellular ability to get the GPS chip. Not sure if you need an active cell phone contract to use the GPS, but I wouldn't think so. Basically Topo Maps is just that, access to USGS 7.5 quads from the entire US. You do need to download maps in advance and it is limited to the number you can link together, but it is well more than 50. Pretty basic waypoint capability, but no way to navigate to a particular waypoint. I actually use this more than my Garmin when away from camp. I would not trust it alone given the battery life and relatively fragile nature of an iPhone when compared to a hand held GPS, but it is worth the weight to carry IMHO.

Personally I don't mind having a laptop around camp because DeLorme's Topo North America is loaded on mine. That being said I wouldn't carry one with me in the field and probably wouldn't carry a full size tablet either. Maybe an iPad Mini, but that is about it.

Although a bit off subject if you are wanting to store aerial screen shot or a specific screen shot of a map you can use an app called Goodreader. I use it all the time for that kind of stuff. additionally you can download the hunt regs, or just about any other document and store it and even set-up folders to organize your documents maps, etc. I actually used the new mapping feature on the AZGFD portal in aerial view, then used the tools to mark my spots, then screen shot it and downloaded it into the Goodreader app and it's a done deal. The app will also access servers and can transfer just but any file. Costs 4.99 and is worth every penny. I use it for hunting as well as for work projects. App works on IPads and IPhones. I also agree that Trimble is a good map app