Whitetail Buck Deer

Accuracy help

Crappy stocks and poor bedding won't cause 4-6" groups at 50 yards. There is a major problem somewhere and it's likely a scope or mounting issue.

• Like 3

I prefer HSM Trophy Gold 185grn VLD, but since I cant find those now, I am currently shooting Hornady superformance 180gm SST with good results. I just started to reload so hopefully I will be able to work up a good load using the VLD again.

I hope to reload eventually but for right now I have to stick to the factory.. It could very well be anything it seems like guess I'm just gonna have to start with one and work my way down the stock will probably have to be last I think, like 308 said there has to be some serious shits goin on to be that bad at 50yds.

Can't figure out the whole picture thing...

But out of six shots ... First was 2in to the left of the bullseye second was 4in high and to the right, 2 o clock from the bullseye, 3rd was an 2 3/4in directly above bullseye, 4th was 2" high almost touching 3rd shot, 5th was bout 6-7" directly above bullseye 6th was bout 5" directly to the right of the bullseye, pretty much everywhere in my opinion

If the pressure point has been removed from the stock, try putting it back. Just had the same issue with a hogue stock. Without the pressure point it shot 8" groups. Put the pressure point back in and it shot 1/2" groups.

Did a good gunsmith install the muzzle brake? If it is even very slightly off, it could contact the bullet and throw shots everywhere.

Make sure all action screws are tight to spec. (use torque wrench, don't just guess)

Make sure all mounts and rings are tight to spec. Usually 30 INCH/lbs (not ft/lbs) for the base, and 15-20 inch/lbs for the rings. (use torque wrench, don't just guess)

Try a different scope.

Try scope on different rifle.

Have smith who installed brake check barrel to receiver tolerances/tightness.

Change ammo.

Change bullet weight.

Something is WAY off.

Ya I re checked everything on the scope and bases yesterday the next step I will do today is I took the muzzle break off and will shoot again, my thoughts are if it shoots the same it is not the the muzzle break( not gasses or crown) that is making the bullet jump around. If it still shoots jacked up my next step is take this scope off and put it on a proven rifle so I can figure if it is my scope or if it is my rifle..

Long rang shooting gives me a head ache....but there is nothing better than grouping long range....reading about this a week before my elk hunt will give me nightmares

I muzzle break is not the culprit so on to the scope this afternoon.. I called both howa and vortex. If something is wrong with rifle I'm pretty much screwed as adding a muzzle break voids the warranty so.. Live and learn i will be testing and proving my rifle out of the box instead of trusting it is on. Not saying that's the problem yet but that's something I will do for on now. Vortex is thinking I have the scope rings torqued to much at 20lbs with my rings they say no less than 16 lbs and no more than 18lbs per in/lbs. over tightening is one of their most common calls. They re saying it affects a free floating tube inside that will give me the result I am gettig. So now I am hoping that is what is going on and it's an easy fix.

If it is the barrel, and you voided the warranty, you can always re-barrel the rifle. I hope it does not come down to it.

Let us know if it is the scope. I am sure we all would like to hear the outcome.