tomkat12

12x50 comparison Vortex vs. Meopta

Anyone out there ever compared the Meopta (or Euro HD's)12x50's to Vortex Razor 12x50's. Sure can't beat the vortex warranty but there's sure some good reviews on the Meopta's

I haven't in 12x50 but I have in 10x42 and the meoptas and cabelas euros blew the vortex away optically. The feel and weight is better on the vortex. Cabelas will be around a long time to take care of any warranty needs you have if you decide to go the euro route. IMO the non hd meoptas are better optically than the hd vortex.

I have not compared the 12x50s, but have compared the high end 10x42s (Meopta HD vs. Razor HD), and the 15x56s (Meopta HD vs. Kaibab HD).

To MY eyes, there is no comparison. The Meoptas are far superior in both magnifications for clarity, color, and contrast. I wound up buying a pair of 10x42 AND 15x56 Meoptas this year.

The Meoptas are heavier than the Vortex in the 10X by 6oz., but not the 15X (10X= Meopta-31oz. vs. Razor-24.8oz, 15X= Meopta-40.6oz vs. Kaibab-43.5oz). The 12X are a 9oz. difference, Meopta-37oz. vs. Razor-28.7oz.

I think the ergonomics are great on both. Clicks are tactile on the Meopta, but I don't remember on the Razor/Kaibabs.

I actually like the Vortex mounting location for use on a tripod better, as the connection point is closer to the center, rather than towards the front like the Meoptas.

The other thing I like about the Razors over the Meopta is the front objective lens sits just a bit further back in the housing, possibly offering just a bit more protection in the event you drop them.

12X MSRP pricing, you save $100 on the Meoptas ($1399 Meopta vs. $1499 Razor). You can usually hit a sale for additional savings on both, so take that for what it is worth.

Warranty. Both are phenomenal (Vortex & Cabela's/Meopta). I would not worry about either. I have just heard of people using the Vortex warranty a lot more than Meopta, BUT, there are a LOT more people using Vortex too. So, of course, you would hear of more usage due to sheer volume. Just run the numbers.

Customer support. Here is the deal. I love the fact that Vortex supports the shooting sports so much. They are, by far, the biggest sponsors at events you will ever see. My hats off to them for the support they give the military, vets, and general population as well.

Thanks for the input gentlemen!I bought some 12x50 viper HD for my deer hunt but wasn't really impressed. I'm leaning towards the the Meopta's since most research says its very near the best glass out there but with Vortex's Veterans discount coupled with the fact that the Razor 12x50 seems to have very positive reviews regarding optics quality and fantastic customer service they are still in the running. Guess it's time to spend a couple hours at Cabelas comparing binos and see what's best for my eyes

You can get a military/veteran discount at cabelas too! Also they stand buy there product 100 percent. I have been using the euros for going on 6 yrs now and the one time i had a problem took them back to store and they traded them out with new binos no questions asked. And it was just a broken eye cup cover

What's the secret? Every time I ask they say its only on certain days?? The more I read the more I'm leaning towards the Meoptas. Great as vortex warranty is I can't get them replaced in a couple hours by driving to Cabelas. I was convinced having one 12x Bino was the way to go but everyone thinks the 15x might be the way to go....more thinking to do lol

I have not compared them side by side but I have the Meopta HD 12x50's and they are fantastic. A little heavy but that's my only complaint. Very very nice glass. As clear and sharp as my Leica Ultravids.

Lee

I would not get a set of 15s as my only glass. In my opinion, too much magnification. Closer viewing (under 500 yards) is tough. Limited FOV, and 15s are almost a tripod only use optic. Way too shaky for a hand held optic. The 12s should be fine.

I use my 10s for 90% of my glassing out to over 1.5 miles. I can easily identify bucks at that distance with them Then I break out the 15s for a closer look. The only time I use the 15s for a lot of glassing is looking into deep dark canyons over 1/2 mile away, or for glassing long distance hillsides. Also for spotting stationary steel or paper targets at 500+ yards. I can easily call shots (or misses) on steel at over 1500 yards with the 15s.

Tomkat if you want to sell your 12x50 vortex let me know. Looking to by a pair.

Thanks any way. Did you replace them? And if so what did you end up getting/

Haven't yet but I've decided against vortex, the warranty is awesome but every pair of the binos I've tried ( and i admitidly haven't used the razor line much) I find myself constantly adjusting the diopter, am I the only one?? Meoptas are still an option but I'll prob save an extra month or 2 and just get some 15x swaros

Haven't yet but I've decided against vortex, the warranty is awesome but every pair of the binos I've tried ( and i admitidly haven't used the razor line much) I find myself constantly adjusting the diopter, am I the only one?? Meoptas are still an option but I'll prob save an extra month or 2 and just get some 15x swaros

Your not the only one. I've never been able to get a pair of vortex to focus. I end up with a headache after glassing for a half hour or so.