JasCald02

Seeking binocular advice

Thank you all for the great advice. Everyone’s feedback is honest and candid, which I appreciate. These conversations are more valuable than any magazine article or book I have read, thanks again!

My logical side says to wait for the Swaro 15x56 (I could have enough $ for them by year end), but the instant gratification side of me is saying “get the 10x56 Nikon Monarchs for now” and then go out and get a Kifaru pack, new boots, etc. Just so you know, I’m pulling for my logical side……we will see which half wins… :huh:

I just bought the Silk Pro tripod and Velbon head a couple of weeks ago. I am sure that if / when I get some nice glass this system will also be upgraded.

Any more feed back on the Tripler? I tend to back pack hunt more often than not and I am thinking that I could get by with out a spotter by having this in my pack.

-

Jason

Backpack hunting is a perfect application for the tripler....it's so lightweight and yet gives you some extra power should you need it. I took my tripler down to Mexico with me and the guide liked it so much I ended up giving it to him as part of his tip.

Amanda

You might post a classified ad on Archerytalk.com specifying what you're looking for. There are over 70,000 registered users on that site, a lot of whom are from back east. It's not uncommon for guys to buy expensive glass for a "once-in-a-lifetime" elk or muley hunt & then not use it again. A thousand bucks in their pocket is better than a set of binos in the closet. You might also find someone willing to work out a trade, if you have something of value you could part with. Your glasses should be the most expensive piece of equipment you carry. I recently bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 12x45 & love 'em. They're not as good as the Swaro's, but they're definetely the best glass that I've owned so far. Good luck.

Jascald,

Although the tripler may seem like a really good idea I would keep your guard up. I've never tried the tripler that is offered on this website but I have tried the swarovski doubler and it is practically worthless. Yes it is very light and convenient but you can't see anything looking through it, the view is dark and unclear. I've read that the tripler offered on this website is better than the swarov doubler but it better be a whole lot better for me to consider it. I'd like to try it out one of these days.

You have recieved a lot of great advice. The only thing I can say is I never leave on a hunt without my Swaro 15x56s.

First of all let me start by letting everyone know that this is my first post here, or anywhere for that matter….that’s right, I am a newbie.

Since deciding to start hunting Coues, this site has become an invaluable source of information in planning for my first attempt at whitetail this fall. After reading a couple of posts and the book How to Hunt Coues Deer, I have come to this potentially expensive realization: I must put all non-optic spending to a halt and save my money for the most important purchase: good glass!

Knowing this, my questions to all of you are:

1. Should I save $1500 for a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLC, then purchase the Jim White Trippler to “pop” on the glass when it comes time to evaluate bucks?

2. Should I continue to use my Bushnell Trophy 10x42 (I know they suck) as my “around my neck” glass and purchase the Swaro 15x56 SCL for all tripod glassing? (I am assuming that I would not need to purchase the Jim White Trippler or a spotting scope as I will be able evaluate the bucks and decide if I want to give chase by already having enough glass to make that decision)

3. Should I drop $2500 on Leica Duovid 10 + 15 x 50 and have both options in one pair of binoculars. (My hesitation with this option is that the binoculars might be a bit heavy to carry around my neck during a stalking situation).

I know that these are loaded questions, but this will be a lot of money for me and I want to make sure that I am making the right decision. Any help on the questions above or other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

-

Jason

Jason,

Leica, Swarovski & Zeiss have the finest optics both in binoculars and spotting scopes. Minox & Vortex make excellent optics under $500.00. For high power a variable spotter is a great item to own. A walk around binocular like the Minox HG series will provide you with quality and no strain caused headaches.

We have many show samples at reduced prices and advise is always available, no charge :) Please feel free to call and chat about options.

Treestandman,

I agree with you that the swaro doubler is too dark and practically useless. I have used the swaro doubler and wouldn't spend a penny on it. However, the tripler is much brighter and I think a very worthwhile option. It's not as great as a large spotting scope, but it's very good.

I will talk to Jim and see if we can get some samples out for people to try out and post a review of it.

Amanda

IMO, the Minox are a great value as are the high end Pentax SP's.

The SP's for your neck and the Minox 15's for sit down glassing would be a great combo at many less $$ than a full set of "Top 3" glass. Plus, if you decide to upgrade to the Big 3 later, you can get a good return of your investment by selling them. They hold their value pretty well on the used market, if you take care of them.

Sidenote -

If you need someone to review / test the tripler, I will be doing alot of scouting for clients as well as myself (got an antelope tag - woo hoo!) in the next few weeks. I would be willing to write up an article with photos and you can trust me to send it back when I'm done.

There hasn't been enough said about making sure if you spend the money on good glass you need to invest in a good sturdy tripod. Good glass on a bad tripod is no different than bad glass.

BAD GLASS ON A GOOD TRIPOD IS STILL BAD GLASS! Good glass on any tripod is still good glass. So I see a major difference. Get the SWARO's 15x56 they are GREAT!

Boy I guess I'm the only one who likes the Swaro doubler. I used it for the first time this year and found it to be very useful. I actually used it on the buck I killed this year, it made me actually go after the deer because when just looking through my 15's it didn't look that big but when i used the doubler it made me get up and get after it. All this talk about the tripler and how much better it is really has me curious to see what it is all about. Josh