Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Right Charge for load

Hello,

i'm trying to find a right load for my 300 win mag, I was reading the optimal charge weight method and it says to start 10% off the max charge, i'm loading nosler partitions with imr 7828scc and the book calls for a 77 grain max and 73 grain start load, now the 77 grain minus 10% is 69.3 grain and that is a lot below starting load, my question is , is it safe to start with such a low charge?

should I start at the starting load and increase from there? if so how much do you guys increase? .5 grain or less per charge?

thanks for the help.

I've loaded extensively in 300 win mag. But not with that powder. That said. I've loaded 3 grains below the min with h1000. With no I'll effects. Accurate took a dive but that's it. I've loaded 150g 168g 180g and 200g projectiles. All have achieved the greatest consistency at min or slightly above min. The farther from the min I've gotten the larger my groups.

10% is more focused towards the smaller capacity cases like the 223. Optimal charge weight for that cartridge is about 25 grains, which gives a loading range of 2.5 to 3 grains. The larger capacity magnum cases usually have a 5% min to max load range. Start at 73 and work up in .5 grain increments.

• Like 2

thanks oz, when I first started buying reloading supplies I couldn't find any h1000 so I bought 8 pounds of 7828scc which is a good powder for magnum rifles so i'm going to try what you do and see if my rifle likes that.