Whitesheep

Weight of Rings and Bases

What do a standard set of Leupold bases and medium rings weigh for a Remmington 700 set? The rifle I am putting together will be used for hunting and in silhouette hi-power competition and must way 9 lbs or less. Regrettably I have not been able to find weights for this mounting system and would appreciate any insight readers have. The rifle I am starting with weights 7.5 lbs and the scope will add about 1 lb, so I only have about 8 oz to play with. Maybe aluminum rings?

Thanks in advance

A 1# scope? Wow. It must be tiny.

What action, short or long?

What base? Double dovetail or rear windage adjustable? 1 piece or 2 piece?

What rings? 30mm or 1"? Double dovetail or rear windage adjustable?

An aluminum Picatinny with light weight rings might be your best bet.

I just weighed a single 1" medium Leupold ring, and it is about 1.7245oz.

I just put one of these Nightforce direct mounts on my 6.5. It weighs like 4.7 oz

post-1985-0-32305700-1418233547.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks W.O.T. Is this an aluminum or steel mount? I guessing aluminum. The two piece Leupold Remington bases and medium rings in 30mm probably weigh more than this.

The scope I am looking at is a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm (30mm) Side Focus with the Boon & Crockett reticle. According to Leupold's spec sheet it weights 15.1 oz. I would really like a Trijicon 5x20x50 Accupoint, but it weights almost 30 oz and would put me out of the hunter class for silhouette.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I competed I shot in the standard class and my rifle was about 1oz under max. If your going Hunter Class then I would look at Talley lightweight rings and bases. I shot a Weaver T16 and it was ok but if I had it to do over again I would opt for more magnification.

I used a 700 Varmint Special in an H&S Precision Thumbhole Stock. Lots of fun.

Thank you maximus. I took a look at the EGW mounts and they look very nice as well as very expensive, but I would prefer avoiding placing a rail across the bolt opening.

PRDATR, the Talley's are a great suggestion, thank you. I'll give them a try if I am overweight with the steel Leupold's I have on hand.

• Like 1

I e-mailed Talley and they responded within 24 hours to indicate their medium rings for a Remington 700 weigh 2.3 oz for the set. My rifle weighs 7lb 12.5 oz so with the 15 oz scope I am at 8lb 11.5 oz and these rings would squeak me by for a total of 8lb 13.8 oz. The steel Leupold set has not arrived yet, but if it is overweight, I'll order a set of Talley's.

Thanks everyone for their input and help in weight control for my rifle.

• Like 1

All the kit for this new rifle is on the bench and here is what everything weighs:

Nosler Patriot Model48 in .280 Rem AI 7 lb 12.5 oz

Leupold VX3 6.5x20x40 AO Scope 14.9 oz

Leupold medium steel bases & rings 5.3 oz

Total 9 lb 0.7 oz

Can you believe I am only 0.7 oz over! I could lose the rubber eye piece, but it only weights 0.1 oz, so I still would not make hunter class.

So I am returning the Leupold mounts and going with the Talleys PRDATR recommended which should bring my total weight to 8 lb 13.7 oz. This means In can run a 4" sunshade (1.3 oz) or 2" (0.8 oz) and still be under 9 lb. If the "official" scale doesn't agree with my postal scale maybe removing the sunshade(s) will get me by.

What fun and Merry Christmas

• Like 1

You will not need the sunshade but the added weight will be a good thing. All of the ranges I have been to faced north.

You are correct PRDATR, the BASF ranges all face North. Since this is really a hunting gun that I will shoot silhouette for "practice" and I find a shade valuable depending on the sun, I would like to shoot on the range with exactly the same rig and loads I will hunt with.

Just sent the Leupold bases & rings back to OpticsPlanet so I should be putting this rifle together in the next week or so. Can't wait.