Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

257 Weatherby - 115gr VLD load data?

Does anyone have any good load data for a 257 weatherby with 115gr. Berger VLD hunting bullets?

I have most IMR4831 & RL22 for powder right now.

Thanks

Harley

RE-22- MIN. 61.0 GR.= 3103; MAX. 64.5=3273

I loaded a 5 shot 3 group ladder today with 4831 and a 3 shot 3 group ladder with RL22. I was limited on cases and RL22 so I didn't load more. I need to go to the range to free up some more cases to load.

4831:

62.0gr.

RL22

61.5gr.

I have good load worked up at 61.0gr with 117gr Hornady boat tails and IMR4831 so I worked around that to see what the VLDs might like.

I am running resized 7mm cases so my case capacity is slightly less than real 257 brass. I will see how these do and maybe try and get some RL25 or the like. I have about 4 lbs of IMR 4831 left though so I hope to get a decent load with it too even if it is for practice.

Harley

Check www.reloadersnest.com for loads. I think RL22 would be great in a .257 Weatherby. I use it in my .25-06 Ackley and my .300RUM with fantastic results in both accuracy and velocity. I load 115 Berger VLDS over 58gr. in my .25-06 Ackley at 3400+fps.

I went out to the range today and got a chance to shoot the VLD's. They shot really well. The lower charges of 4831 grouped the best, but I am going to work on some heavier charges of R22. It seemed like the heavier the charge the better the group.

The 4831 cases also show more pressure signs than the cases loaded with R22 at what I believe should be similar pressures and loads.

I am going to load some more 4831 loads at the same weight as today's best shooters, and then I am going to start working with heavier doses of R22 and see if the groups get tighter as the charges get heavier like today kind of suggests.

4831 might be better for my lighter shooter rounds and R22 might work out to be a better barn burner round. I am also going to keep working with the Hornady BTSP bullets that my rifle seems to like a lot.

Overall though I am pretty happy with the VLD. I had one 3 shot group that was sub MOA and a five round group that would have been MOA if I hadn't pulled a round. That group did have 2 rounds that basically were the same hole too.

Harley

Nice. Work with seating depth too. I bet you can shrink those groups further. Plus, if seat them long, you can get more powder for more velocity with no more pressure.

I think H1000 is a keeper. I shot some 3 shot groups off my very first small ladder test today and had some very good results.

The first picture is 3 shots @ 100 yards. 3 shots touching.

The 2nd picture is 3 shots @ 100 yards. 2 shots in the same hole and one slightly lower to the right. The smaller hole is from my buddies 22lr.

I only loaded 12 rounds with H1000 for today because I was low on cases. I did 4 different 3 shot groups. 66,67,68,69gr. The 67gr is the left pic and the 69 is the right pic. Not to bad for an almost stock Weatherby Vanguard with just a Redfield Revolution scope. The only rifle mod is I just added a Timney trigger. It was still set at 3lb as today was the first time I have been able to shoot the rifle since the trigger went in.

post-592-0-89651700-1433049880_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-45274600-1433049907_thumb.jpg

I think H1000 is a keeper. I shot some 3 shot groups off my very first small ladder test today and had some very good results.

The first picture is 3 shots @ 100 yards. 3 shots touching.

The 2nd picture is 3 shots @ 100 yards. 2 shots in the same hole and one slightly lower to the right. The smaller hole is from my buddies 22lr.

I only loaded 12 rounds with H1000 for today because I was low on cases. I did 4 different 3 shot groups. 66,67,68,69gr. The 67gr is the left pic and the 69 is the right pic. Not to bad for an almost stock Weatherby Vanguard with just a Redfield Revolution scope. The only rifle mod is I just added a Timney trigger. It was still set at 3lb as today was the first time I have been able to shoot the rifle since the trigger went in.

Told ya.

This is the rifle that I want to put a new Vortex Viper on but part of me really doesn't want to mess with this rifle if it will shoot like this right now. I kind of want to just dial in one of these loads with H1000 and leave the rifle as it, but at the same time I would love an nicer piece of glass on this rifle and also be able to transfer this scope to another one of the rifles I have that has crappy glass. My dad wasn't a believer in good glass so I have a lot of good rifles I need to switch from crappy Simmons and Bushnell to something even half way decent like the Redfield Revolution on this rifle.

I took a couple of his rifles out to the range this weekend to determine my backup rifle for elk, and holy crap do the scopes suck. The Simmons on one is a giant flaming turd, and the bushnell on the other is marginal at best for 300 and under on a rifle that should be able to handle 500 easy (7mm Rem Mag Ruger Mk1).

Harley