TwoGuns

Cowboys roping a Bull Elk

I wonder how my kids are going relate to a time that seems more like a fairytale to their generation?

Don't worry. Heroes are more heroic in hindsight. There are heroes in this generation that have not yet been recognized.

Bill Quimby

My dad tells of a story that him and his buddy were in the woods and they ran upon a small bull elk that was blind and kept running into things, it ran into a fence around a tank and so they jumped on it and held it down for a few minutes and then let it go. Then there is the stories of the fastest horse in the white mountains that cowboy Bigler rode, they chased down and roped an antelope. :)

My father in laws father, whew! was the third Game Warden in the state of Arizona, we still have badge #3. When he was young he lived in payson and worked as a government trapper and cowboy.

He treed and roped several bears and lions and two of the bears were shot by Howard Hill, the archer on film. Several more were sold to circuses and such. The pyle brothers also did this quite regularly. Howard Hill would stand near the cage when the bears were released and it is written that he could nail the running bear several times before it covered a hundred yards, with a longbow.

His name was Gene Holder, Holder cienaga near Payson is named after his family.

Howard Hill would stand near the cage when the bears were released and it is written that he could nail the running bear several times before it covered a hundred yards, with a longbow.

Ugh!

Oh by the way, I wasn't trying to make you feel old Bill.

Just remember, your not old just respected. ;)