Sign in to follow this  
jgraffaz

Elk hunting

So I have been debating what units I will put in for for elk. I am not as familiar with unit 22 and was considering a late archery hunt in 22. What do you guys think? I am worried about it because some people say it has been extremely over hunted. Any info will help, thanks!

The late archery hunts are a lot harder than the rut hunts but much easier to get drawn. Do you actually want a really good chance to shoot a bugling, rutting bull or do you just want a chance to hunt elk with a bow? If you want a good hunt with an excellent chance, only apply for the earlier archery hunts. If you just want to get out there, by all means try that late 22 hunt. Can still make it happen but you need to do your homework and have a bit of luck. Rifle hunts are all over the board. Someone else can address that.

Good Luck!

The late archery hunts are a lot harder than the rut hunts but much easier to get drawn. Do you actually want a really good chance to shoot a bugling, rutting bull or do you just want a chance to hunt elk with a bow? If you want a good hunt with an excellent chance, only apply for the earlier archery hunts. If you just want to get out there, by all means try that late 22 hunt. Can still make it happen but you need to do your homework and have a bit of luck. Rifle hunts are all over the board. Someone else can address that.

Good Luck!

I'm not looking for a trophy rut hunt, just a hunt I can get out there and chase some bulls.I am willing to do my home work and work my butt of during the hunt, not looking for a 400 inch bull .let me reprhase my question. How is unit 22 compared to any other unit that offers a late archery hunt? Is the elk quality bad? Is it way over hunted?

Witch units are not over hunted? Lol

In other units you will more or less have the woods to yourself on the late archery hunt. In Unit 22, everybody and their brother is in there. The very low number of tags is one of the few upsides to the late hunts, in my opinion. Other units are not much more difficult to draw, I would be willing to wait, but this is coming from a guy with 9 elk points and one who will very likely have 10 after this year.