I have killed a couple deer with my .25-06 Ackley.

My first was with a Barnes 100 TTSX @ 488 yards quartering on sharply. At the shot, I thought I had missed, as the deer just stood there. No flinch, kick, hunch, run, nothing. I chambered another round and was just starting to squeeze the trigger (about 15-20 seconds had passed since first shot) when he stood straight up on his hind legs and fell over backwards without a kick. The bullet had entered right at the front right shoulder, and exited at the left rear hip. No blood other than from mouth/nose. Good thing he did not go anywhere. I did have some blood shock on the front quarter.

The next was with the 115 Berger HVLD. I shot my buck in 2014 at a distance of approximately 150 yards. Strong quartering on. Shot entered right at right side neck/shoulder junction, exited behind left shoulder. Deer went 10' in 2 seconds and piled up without any further movement. Massive blood trail. Not a lot of blood shock.

I and others have also shot deer and javelina with a .250 Ackley. Close to ballistics between .257 Roberts and .25-06 Rem. Deer were both broadside and shot between 40 and 150 yards with Barnes 100 XBT and 100 TSX. Deer both ran about 40 yards each and piled up. Not a big blood trail, but enough to follow.

Javelina was shot with a 100 SMK. Dropped like a sack of hammers. Shot was from elevated position, and entered top of shoulder, exited in 2 pieces, one at lower shoulder, one at stomach area. Pig was a mess inside.

I also shot a coyote at 1327 yards with the 100 SMK. It went down. Not much else to say.

I have found the Barnes good for penetration, and dead is dead, so hard to complain. Accuracy was less than other bullets. About 3/4-1MOA out of a sub-half MOA gun when shooting other rounds.

Bergers are the most accurate, along with SMKs. They penetrate fine from what I observed, and every rifle I have now shoot one of these two bullets. I think putting the bullet where you want it is priority #1. And Berger and SMKs just go where I point them, every time. Even at long range.

Well said lance I couldn't agree more. As far as sensitive goes I haven't found bergers to be all that hard to tune. I set mine 25 thou from the lands and do normal load work up.

I start my Bergers jammed .005, so I know pressure will go down once I get my load development down. Then play with seating until my 1/2" groups become 1/4" groups and call it good. I have never seen really finicky results with Berger VLDs either, but they do get better if you play with them a bit.

My 257 weatherby likes Hornady 117 grain boat tail soft points, and the VLD's I started to work with last weekend show a lot of promise. The Hornady SST shows good results with accuracy too.

I have not shot anything with my 257 yet though to report how that went.