CouesWhitetail

Springtime in AZ!

Hi All,

Went on a quick campout last night with my husband. We went up to a place north of town on USFS land that is loaded with a plant called Algerita (or Berberis). It's a shrub that gets fairly large, like 5ft or more tall and just as wide or wider. This time of year it gets in full bloom and the whole bush looks yellow. If you haven't ever noticed this plant before, it's worth a trip out to find some. The scent these flowers give off is HEAVENLY! We went to camp there just so we could be surrounded by that smell. The place where we went has these bushes about every 5 meters and so it's just packed with floral scent.

Now is the time for those plants at around 4200 feet elevation. It grows in with mesquite and hackberry and other desert plants.

Had to come back early this morning for church and work (my hubby works on weekends). Or else I would have done a bunch of glassing this morning. Sure is tough to drive away from a prime deer area at the golden hour around sunrise!

here is my dog enjoying the sunset on our walk (I had stopped to glass some and she laid down)

post-1-1175458335.jpg

and here is a curve-billed thrasher nest in a cholla cactus that we found on our walk

post-1-1175458399.jpg

and here is the Algerita plant with flowers:

post-1-1175458760_thumb.jpg

and here is th crazy fire we had with 6 ft flames! Hackberry sure burns great! Thank goodness we were in a sandy wash.

post-1-1175458372.jpg

and here is the fire after it calmed down and with the almost full moon in the background. (this looked alot nicer than the photo shows!)

post-1-1175458445.jpg

I love this time of year! Hope everyone is taking advantage of the great weather and getting out there!

Amanda

Thanks for taking us along Amanda! I love your photo's, espescially the campfire one with the little Kokopelli dancing around it! Check it out, he is there.

TJ

Your killin me Amanda!

I wish I could get out there.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Great pics It never ceases to amaze me at all the beauty the desert holds. This is really the best time of year to experience it.

Super pictures. Really liked the one with your pooch in looking at the scenery especially