Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Kaibab ?

If you draw a Kaibab hunts, you BETTER not shoot the first 2 point you see!!!

Lance, but what if it's a really big 2 Pointer???

It better be 26"+. B)

I have actually seen a few 26-30+" forkies up on the Bab. It just kills me to see all the small immature bucks taken every year up there when I am fortunate enough to draw a tag. And on opening day. While I totally respect meat hunting, and understand that meat in the freezer is a true priority, you could do that in just about any unit out there other than the Kaibab, and usually a lot closer to most people's home, especially on a rifle hunt. But any deer with a bow is a trophy in my opinion. I have taken a few younger deer with my bow as well. Sure are tasty and tender.

How about for the late rifle hunt? How many points do you need on average to draw the late kiabab hunt? for a resident

13 will get you that tag in 12A West

It better be 26"+. B)

I have actually seen a few 26-30+" forkies up on the Bab. It just kills me to see all the small immature bucks taken every year up there when I am fortunate enough to draw a tag. And on opening day. While I totally respect meat hunting, and understand that meat in the freezer is a true priority, you could do that in just about any unit out there other than the Kaibab, and usually a lot closer to most people's home, especially on a rifle hunt. But any deer with a bow is a trophy in my opinion. I have taken a few younger deer with my bow as well. Sure are tasty and tender.

+1 to that. I knocked down a little forky mule deer buck over in 27 a couple years ago and that was the tastiest most tender deer I've ever eaten. Passed one about the same size this last summer on the Bab on opening day. That's hard for me to do. I feel like I haven't killed enough deer with my bow yet to let the easy ones walk, but I couldn't make myself wrap my tag around a little guy on day one up there, so I video taped him instead. I'm finding that I enjoy dragging out a good video clip of a very close encounter almost as much as I like dragging out venison... almost as much. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I heard they knocked them down pretty good the first couple days in the burn. lance, you hunt east side or west side? east side looks a lot funner than west side. the aspen undergrowth in the burn on the west side is a filthy whore. I like to hunt down south in the unit personally. the archery hunt sounds fun, id like to put in with a bunch of people that don't care about horn size and try to shoot a bunch of deer.

I heard they knocked them down pretty good the first couple days in the burn. lance, you hunt east side or west side? east side looks a lot funner than west side. the aspen undergrowth in the burn on the west side is a filthy whore. I like to hunt down south in the unit personally. the archery hunt sounds fun, id like to put in with a bunch of people that don't care about horn size and try to shoot a bunch of deer.

I have hunted both. Actually seen more deer on the West side, but there is a ton more real estate on the West side too. Biggest buck I have ever missed was a West side buck. Also a lot more hunters on the West side. But again, a lot more room to check.

The burn covers both the East and West sides. And aspen undergrowth is nasty on both sides, east and west....but that is where deer like to bed and eat too. I have seen some deer while glassing the burns, but my last two bucks have been from still hunting through the nasty, stickery, thick, tangled garbage. The burn is good and bad in certain aspects. Good in the fact you can see a lot more ground with binos, across canyons, in the rolling hills, and trees do not block anything past 100-200 yards. It also makes still hunting harder, as it is a lot noisier, and deer can see YOU sooner too. Plus, no trees to hang stands in around water or trails. So archery is a lot tougher in my opinion in the burns. That is a rifle hunters terrain if you ask me.

I know 12A fairly well, and the east side better than the west side because it is a smaller unit. I have spent more time on the east side, but would have no issues hunting the west side if I drew it. Deer cross the highway very quickly, back and forth. I see deer all the time crossing that road, so a buck can be in your unit one minute, and out of reach within archery range the next by simply crossing over. A few years ago, a buddy and I saw the same huge buck every evening crossing from the east to the west, but we could never find him crossing back. And we could not get a pattern on him close enough to get a shot at him. But he liked the same 1/2 mile stretch of road to cross each night. But it was always just after legal and ethical shooting light. We tried setting up on both sides, but it was like he had a GPS of where we were on a stand.

• Like 1

It better be 26"+. B)

If it would get drawn out of rifle I would wait till the last day. Archery is another story. I'll shoot good size forkers but not the first day. Depending on the first day I would have no problem take one the second day.

i know its the rut now, but after spending the past 2 weeks in the desert i have 0 desire to go back to Kaibab. id rather just work it hard here now. im sure the late hunt is the bomb but that early hunt, i think it sucks kind of tbh. it beautiful country, i just get worn out at seeing 100-200 does a day and maybe 1 main frame buck every 3 days. at least that's been my luck in 3 trips there. but i don't know it that well, west side is HUGE and i suck at hunting. im a little prejudice i guess. never been there for archery, maybe theyre out and about then.