hunter07

300 weatherby mag

Im thinking about getting one for an elk rifle. Any one have this rifle? do you like it? tell me what you think. Thanks Mark

My brother-in-law had one for a few years, but sold it as it was quite heavy, and the recoil was somewhat "unpleasant" even with a muzzle brake.

He opted to replace it with a 270 WSM.

Thanks for the help, and the offer but i already got one coming. a freind won it in an NRA dinner or something like that and is going to sell it to me for a discounted price. still in the box

I hope you reload! Ammo is dang expensive! I opted for a .300 win mag, alot cheaper ammo amd not much difference in ballistics.

I hope you reload! Ammo is dang expensive! I opted for a .300 win mag, alot cheaper ammo amd not much difference in ballistics.

:rolleyes: The ballistics are better and it is worth it..... I Love my 300 wby. But you should read my post in Long Range shooting. If it is straight out of the box it might be worth it to spend some of those "discounted dollars" with a good gunsmith..... a quality muzzel brake, glass bedding/ aluminum pilars, and a little customizing of the trigger, action, and barrel. These things will cost you up front, but man will she shoot! You might think that it is great out of the box, too..... I never shot mine untill I had the work done and it is the finest rifle I have ever shot. That gun is very flat shooting and is very versitile as far as what you can hunt with it. I shoot only 180 gr. bullets out of mine even for coues and have wasted very little meat at all and a hunting buddy of mine has the same gun and shoots 150's and has found the same. Oh yeah, and they put a serious smack down on elk! Best of luck with the new gun..... PM me if you have any specific questions...... You'll love the caliber.

CnS

coues'n'sheep thanks for all the help. Now im really excited to get out and shoot. Let me know how that scope set up works for you.

the weatherby wouldn't be bad if they made it in something other than that rube goldberg lookin' weatherby rifle. safety looks like a kick starter on a cushman scooter. big clubby stock. finish so rough you can use the barrel for a file. once we were huntin' up in montanner and i used a guys weatherby for a splittin' maul for about 15 minutes before he noticed and started hollerin'. and it was an honest mistake. i never figgerd a gun'd be that ugly. and he said it never shot better after that. Lark.

p.s. bullwidgeon, aka the talkin' javelina, has one too. he's the only guy that can make a weatherby look better just by holdin' it. go figger.

I got my leupold scope in today and i have to say my rifle is looking pretty good right now. I cant wait to get out and sight it in even though i know ill be sore the next couple days. One question for any one who veiws this. I heard that the 300 win mag is the same cartriage as the 300 wby mag, and they are interchangeable, Or can be shot in either gun. Is this true? I know the win mags are a heck of alot cheaper.

NO, they are not interchangeable!!!!! The 300 Weatherby is a belted case. A 300 Win will chamber but if you let the hammer down you may be looking at an explosion. You definetly "heard" wrong.

Ed
I got my leupold scope in today and i have to say my rifle is looking pretty good right now. I cant wait to get out and sight it in even though i know ill be sore the next couple days. One question for any one who veiws this. I heard that the 300 win mag is the same cartriage as the 300 wby mag, and they are interchangeable, Or can be shot in either gun. Is this true? I know the win mags are a heck of alot cheaper.

Thanks for all the help. Im so glad we have a site like this, because other wise. I would have been screwed thanks again u guys are life savers

I have the 300 Weatherby Ultralighweight and Love it. It has a muzzle break on it and kicks like a 243. My 14 year old son loves to shoot it and takes it a field when ever he is drawn. Contrary to what others think, I like the looks of this gun and it's very light. Good luck with your new rifle!!

I have been shooting a 300 WBY for nine years . I have used it from Mexico to Africa. I have shot from Coues to Kudu

I use a 180 gr bullet. I shoot Handloads . I use swift in both kinds Sciircco and A-frame ,depends on what kind of game.

I do have a muzzle breake on it and it shoots well. The rifle I use is capeable of switching scopes and remain Zeroed in.

I am now working on a load for the 165 gr bullets. So all I have to do is take along the extra scope and shells and i can shoot what ever gr I want. I have made 1 shot kills on a kudu , deer it just folds them up like a table.

If you like it buy it.