Pac8541

Throwing flies

Maybe we oughta put together a CWT trip... maybe up to the Juan or Lee's Ferry? A few hours further and we could be on the Gunnison. I go annually to the Black River with a couple guys from work. We park the truck and hike in for a day or so, fishing the whole way, then camp for a couple days on the river. Great bass fishing although, that's not really my first choice. Its still getting out in the trees for a few days. But I'm completely in for the same kind of trip hunting trout.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I've never fished the Ferry...and I live 2 hours from it. Its on my list, I just don't know the access and places. I'd be up for a trip to the Ferry or the Juan! Of course, that's as long as I have the time off and my wife is ok with it. I won't lie, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy...that and I respect her enough to ask ahead of time! :)

I'm in for a trip to the Juan. I hate the Ferry. Not even close to what it used to be.

Adam

I'm in for a trip to the Juan. I hate the Ferry. Not even close to what it used to be.

Adam

I understand but dang man, hate!? haha

That's a strong word for wetting a line in one of the 7 world wonders!

I would go to Lee's with a group, amazing place.

Adam

I understand but dang man, hate!? haha

That's a strong word for wetting a line in one of the 7 world wonders!

I would go to Lee's with a group, amazing place.

I know, I know. I've had some great days on the Ferry, but it's never held my interest like the white mountains has. No question the White Mountains has the best trout fishing in the state!!!!!

I've never been to the Juan. I would love to go with someone who know's how to fish it.

Adam

All around awesome pics and place.

How would one, not unlike myself, get started in fly fishing?

Simplest way I would guess, is to take some classes through Cabelas or Bass Pro. Both offer casting classes and basic fundamentals, I think Bass Pro's are free. Otherwise, find a buddy that does or buy and inexpensive rod/reel and search YouTube for instructional videos. I've been fly fishing my whole life, since probably 12 yrs old or so when my uncle taught me. Be forewarned though, this is not a cheap experience. I mean, sure it CAN be cheap. But it seems most that fall in love with it see, want, rationalize, purchase, repeat. I've spent well over $3000 in the last 2 yrs. Granted, it's been equal parts need vs want... Ok, it's been 70% want. Can't hide that.

Check out AZ Flycasters or other fly fishing clubs around the valley also. Great resources and people willing to help out and save you money. AZ Flycasters also hosts monthly trips to local waters and an annual trip to the Juan in Oct.

Be forewarned though, this is not a cheap experience. I mean, sure it CAN be cheap. But it seems most that fall in love with it see, want, rationalize, purchase, repeat. I've spent well over $3000 in the last 2 yrs. Granted, it's been equal parts need vs want... Ok, it's been 70% want. Can't hide that.

Truer words never spoken!

Cool thanks. Except i live in flag. But I'll check out you tube.

I'm in Flagstaff, too. My form sucks so you don't want me to teach you, but I'm happy to talk sometime. Check out Northern Arizona Flycasters (http://www.nazflycasters.org/). I've still never gotten involved since I've lived here, but I've heard nothing but good about them. My supervisor is active with them and she speaks highly.