No it is not unless you are from out of state. We are going to make out of state hunters wear them that are orange and say out of state hunter on the front and back.HA HA

No it is not a must to wear it in Arizona. That is another reason why this state is one of the best to hunt in.

Even though it isn't required, how many of you guys wear it anyway? When and why?

John

Edited by Pigman

I usually wear an orange hat for my rifle coues hunt. I would wear a lot more if I was hunting in the pines. I mostly wear it so that my dad can see me from a mile away when I'm trying to tell him where I'm at over the radio. You can see that orange from a long way.

The only time I will wear orange is when I am packing an animal out, I hunt alot down south and I guess I've got into a habit of not wanting "people" to see me.

i like to put it on my horse. i don't wear it in Az. or new mex. mainly because it isn't required and i'm also no afraid to not wear it, like i'd be in colorado. it's required there and all them dudes are trained to shoot anything that ain't orange, i think. after an hour or so, i'm wondering if maybe i have enough on.

I carry it in my pack, and for the same reason azpackhorse gave.

I have had shots come in my direction a time or two. That was back before camo and evryone wore a red or brown flanel shirt. I have not ever worne aorange. I will make my kids wear it when they go with me in the field. I don't do enough walking around to make me fill like I need the orange. If you get a good breakup orange the deer will not be able to see the orange so it is not a bad idea for people to wear it. I just don't like some people to see me. Then I find them there the next day.

I tell you what though I sure know by naked eye when I see a hunter in blaze orange. So if you want to wear it go ahead . Even a cap like said above Is good enough to see.

blaze orange ain't a bad thing. in fact the past couple hunting accidents in Az. probably would not have happened if blaze orange were worn. last one i remember was a turkey hunter on the kaibab that got shot. sounded like the guy that shot his was a real idiot, but orange might o' kept it from happenening. when i was a kid and just starting to hunt, my ol' man would deck me out in red. hat, jacket, shirt. but it was mainly so he could find me. we never hunted where there were other folks. i hope Az. never goes to a mandatory orange, myself. as long as people don't get too stupid, we won't have to. colorado did it out of self preservation. they were shooting folks every year. Az. has never had a real problem with it and has never had the hunter densities of the colorado general seasons, plus our country is much more open. i dang sure "orange up" my caballo during elk season tho. no sense in tempting fate.

Great Ideas on haveing the NR hunters wear it! :P

Personally, I use the camo blaze orange on a hat when there are other hunters in the area. I also treat it with the UV killer spray so it does not "glow" to the animals sight.

Wearing some sort of bright color is my norm when packing out an animal like others have said.

Guest Ernesto C

I only wear orange while hunting doves or quail and some times when hunting the forrest in central or north Az.especially when I want to be seen by others,like if I making a push or "deer drive" to where my brothers are.

I dont wear orange in the south units specially close to the border because I want to be the spotter not the object being spot by burreros (people carrying drugs).

God thing I always have the best guide in the world,he does not only guide me but he also protects me.

God bless everybody and be happy.

Ernesto C.

I only wear an orange vest when I go quail hunting and dove hunting, other than that don't feel I need to look like a pumpkin. Although you never know how many Californians might be hunting, they tend to shoot at themselves let alone you. ;) During the rifle hunt it wouldn't be a bad idea for an orange hat, but archery hunting camo is just what should be worn. Have fun hunting, should be easy target practice with out of staters in orange. :D

I have to say I'm a huge fan of hunter orange. I look at things a bit different that most of you guys do. I want others to see me. I don't think they will go to where I'm at. But I think they will see me and go the other direction. I wouldn't worry about the drug runners seeing you either. They run drugs at night for the most part. It is rare to see drug runners during the day. Most of them during the day are wets. That is what the Border Patrol agents have told me for the most part.

The deer can't see orange anyways. Back in Michigan I used to wear a full orange suit from head to toe. I would have deer walk within spitting distance and never see me. The first time that happens you are shocked that they don't see you. I always felt like I was glowing. But they never saw me.

I normall just wear an orange hat when big game hunting and a hat and a vest when bird hunting.

I do a ton of dog training and I will tell you a person who wears orange has a much better chance of not getting shot. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

One last thing. Turkeys can see color. I don't think I would want to wear it when I was turkey hunting. They will pick out any color that isn't in the woods naturally.

Later,

recurveman

I would think deer would see camo without a UV blocker more than blaze orange with the UV blocker. I think it's a personal preferance. Deer will usually see you when they detect your movement or hear you. If thats the case it doesn't matter what your wearing.