Sign in to follow this  
Manamal

Trail cams

I was just wondering what types of trail cameras you all were using and the pros and cons of each model. I am thinking of buying a couple of them and would like to get some imput on witch ones perform well in the field.

I have also heard of a homemade model: Anyone care to elaborate?

Call 1-800-237-4444 and ask Cabelas for an archery 2004 magazine. Cabelas.com might have deer cams on it.

I have the nontypical deer cam and it works great. It says it's effective range is up to 60 feet but I've had good pics a bit past that distance. That deer cam right now is $199.00 and I bought it for $279.00. Many other deer cams are in Cabelas magazine just pick what you like.

I have never made my own deer cam but I'm sure some of the other members have and can tell you how to make your own.

Your best bet is to make your own. It takes about 6 hours and you can make it however you want. I have 3 homemade and I made one for my dad, and got a couple more in the process for a couple of people. The advantage is you can save a ton of money, instant results, and you can make your own camo design to fit your area. I actually have 4 cams all together, but I dont use my store bought one anymore because it has been nothing but trouble, my homemades out perform my store bought by a long shot.

Send me an email and I can give you more info.

GMM

If you are electronicly challenged like myself, try going to ebay for the best deals. My friend and I have bought 7 or 8 from there and had great success. Most of the cameras we buy are under a $100 and have performed very well. I have used the Deer Cam DC100, Vision, Stealth Cam, and Moultrie's all with very good success. All of mine have been 35mm film and have some draw backs like the cost of film and developing, and being limited to 24 pictures at a time. But they cost half as much as the digital cameras and I can afford to buy more of them and have several working for me at once. They are a lot of fun and a huge help for scouting!

I just received the fall Cabela's catalog and there are tons of different models of game cams in there. Many are digital, which is what I really want. There is one that has an infrared flash so the animals are not spooked if they are photographed at night. Sounds like a great feature to have. It also stamps the temperature at the time the animal is seen. Might be good info to have too. But it's several hundred dollars...

Amanda