kadillackountry

New .300 WSM build

Hurry up and go shoot it. If you are lucky, you very first load will shoot under 1/4 MOA like my .300RUM did that PCR just built for me.

A light load, but should work wonders on any elk. 210 Berger HVLD @ 2956fps that shot in the mid .100s. Not a hot rod load, but for the first powder selection, first charge weight, first seating depth, etc., I was quite pleased. Not messing with it before Taylor's elk hunt.

• Like 1

Going to get it out this weekend for sure. Going to break in the barrel with 215 Berger Hybrids, using H3831SC powder. Lowest charge per Berger specs. Then I'll probably just try to focus on which charge is most effective to get me dialed as much as possible that following weekend.

I started middle of the road on my powder charge weight. Wound up shooting a .135" 3 shot group. So no need to fiddle until after elk season. You only have a couple weeks, so don't start off so low you won't want to hunt with it when the time creeps up on you.

If you want to try any RL22, I have a ton of it you can try. Seems like that is a more popular powder for the .300WSM over the H4831, but being unconventional doesn't hurt.

Looks like according to Berger, I can get a slightly higher mussle velocity at max capacity. Might give it a try, but going to stick with what I have until after this hunt when I'll really get it dialed in.

@lancetkenyon thanks for that. I want to try out the RE 22 as well as the IMR 7828scc and Norma MRP. (Unless of course I'm dialed and extremely happy with the loads I develop with the H4831SC, which is a good possibility from what I have read).

Well, my measurements were slightly off (i'm talking less than 1mm) on my rings, so I had to order another set last night. Pics will be up at the end of the week. Here are a few that I took last night, but not final quality. And yes, I put the bipod on backwards. Wasn't paying attention.

post-13199-0-86410300-1446657824_thumb.jpg

post-13199-0-32795500-1446657829_thumb.jpg

post-13199-0-97052000-1446657833_thumb.jpg

What ring height are the ones you have now (low)? And what height did you re-order (medium)?

Can you slide the scope forward 1/2" in the rings and clear the barrel with the bell? Of course, will it be in a comfortable shooting position if you do?

Yes. Had the low Seekins rings (0.82" to center) and ordered the Badger mediums (0.885" to center). My calculations with the bell and the barrel were right on, but just slightly touching so I don't want to risk damaging the scope. That 0.065" (1.65mm) should set me up perfectly. Not sure if I'll sell the rings or use at a later date.

Tried everything last night on positioning. Don't have much wiggle room on placement because there is only one rear placement spot on the rail of this defiance action...