Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Barnes LRX bullet?

Has anybody tried this bullet for hunting? I have been researching it for my Creedmoor and it looks like is is almost identical to the ttsx. David

I dropped a coues with a 129gr from a 270 but it was only about 120 yards. I do get around .6" groups at a 100yds without playing with seating depth and only trying one powder.

I also shoot the 129 gr out of my 270 and couldn't be more happy with it I've gotten sub half MOA groups and it has dropped every thing I have shot with it and the biggest hole it's put in any thing is at max the size of a golfball so your taxidermist will be happy about that

I used the 129 gr .277" on an elk at about 150 yards and a javelina at 100 yards out of a 270 WSM. On the elk it broke both shoulders and exited. The javelina's heart and lungs were liquefied, but the damage was contained to that area. Almost no meat was lost. I get awesome groups using RL-17.

The primary difference between the LRX and the TTSX is a slight design change (not sure if it is mechanical or chemical) that allows it to expand at lower velocities. Whereas Barnes recommends impacts of at least 1900 for reliable expansion with the TTSX, they claim the LRX will expand at 1600 fps, allowing for slightly longer shots.

I'm planning on using the 145gr LRX in my 7mm08 build with plans for shots out to 750 yards.

LRX has a different shape to the ogive and the boat tail. Longer, more streamlined, going towards a VLD type shape rather than the conventional short BT. BC is higher than the TTSX as well.

I shot the 175s out of my .300RUM for a while. They shot really well, at under 1/2MOA. But I never connected with any game with them. It was too long between tags for me for elk.