bowsniper

G&F meetings last night

There were several reasons that Leonard mentioned at our ADA meeting regarding the dept looking into the salt as bait issue. Those reasons included high hunt success by WT hunters using salt, public perception of the ethics of using bait, and also the potential for disease (deer are concentrated at a salt lick and increase risk of disease transmission) or nutritional problems caused by salt. This is just an issue that the dept is looking into and people will have the opportunity to provide comments about it.

Hawkeye, I think it's unfair to say Leonard is an anti-hunter because he has received comments from the public about the ethics of using baits when hunting. Anti-hunters show up regularly at the commission meetings and pressure the commission to hear their side of the story. Being sensitive to and dealing with public perception of hunting methods is important if you want to maintain hunting. We all need to be improving our relations with the non-hunting public. How many of you actively take non-hunters with you when you go hunting in order to show them what it's all about and help keep non-hunters from becoming anti-hunters? I know Leonard does.....

Amanda

This is just an issue that the dept is looking into and people will have the opportunity to provide comments about it.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I can’t help but think that the AZ Fish Police have already made their decision about the bait issue. The “public comment” they are giving us the “opportunity” to provide is just a motion that they go through before they go ahead and do what they want to do. Our only chance is to make such a fuss that the comissioners listen to us.

Mark

I agree Bowsniper that influencing the commissioners to see things your way is the route to take.

On another controversial issue that I haven't seen debated very strongly around here is that there is a proposal put forth by many respected lion hunters in the state to ban lion hunting during the summer (with the exception of units that have lion harvest objectives established, which are primarily in areas where lion harvest is focused to help sheep populations). They are recommending this because they feel it will help preserve lion hunting into the future. They are responding to and being sensitive to those who might feel lion hunting during the summer causes the orphaning of cubs. This is a political move based on public perception. Biologically the lion population is minimally impacted by hunting and this was stressed by Leonard at our meeting. Age data from the lion harvest shows a population that is not heavily eploited. So is this something that should be promoted if it's not biologically necessary? Those who are proposing it feel it is very important to the continued existence of lion hunting in the state. Who wants to see a ballot initiative with a photo of some cute orphaned cubs on it?

This issue will be voted at this weekends commission meeting. Last year it was voted down because several lion hunters spoke up against it. This year, I assume there will be lion hunters there speaking on both sides of the issue.

here is a letter from Floyd Green about the lion closure.

To all concerned sportsmen,

I am responding to comments about the proposed lion season closure:

This is an effort to preserve lion hunting and the use of hounds. Many houndsmen simply do not want Arizona to become the next state targeted by anti hunting groups. Overall, I feel our lion management practices are sound; however I remember the trapping initiative very well and today we can all see the disastrous results of not being able to manage coyotes. We do not want Arizona to lose its ability to manage lions.

Under this new proposal, the lion season does not close statewide. The units with established hunt objectives remain open year round. This will focus the few lion hunters who hunt during these months and make them a more effective tool for lion management and prey protection.

This season change is supported by over one hundred lion hunters, me

included. Other notable individuals such as Steve Smith, Warner Glenn, Fred Peters, along with Karen and Richard Holcomb to name only a few are within this group.

We are the same group of individuals who have worked with the department

over the last ten years to improve and focus our lion management for the

benefit of sheep and deer.

Please feel free to call me concerning this issue my home phone number is

602-953-3906 and my E-mail address is ffgreen@cox.net

Thanks, and we would appreciate your support on this issue

Floyd Green

Yes the archery success rate may be up in part due to hunting over salt but what is wrong with that? Typically bowhunters hunt over salt using a treestand in ponderosa forest. Hunters that draw a rifle tag usually choose to hunt more open, glassable areas, so even though the hunt success ratio for units holding pines may be up for archery hunters, the population decrease due to harvest is spread out evenly over the unit.

The idea of this method seeming unethical to the public is hogwash. As was stated before, the majority of public (non-hunters) most likely has no idea it exists. I use trailcameras and Treestand hunt over salt and I will testify that a lot of strategy and work goes into harvesting a buck. It is not as easy as it sounds!

The salt/mineral products sold in Sporting goods shops are beneficial to the deer/elks health. They might come into it 1-2 times a week. This chance of disease, unethical perception to the public, appearance of too much success talk is bs.