Sign in to follow this  
DotShot

Brown Canyon (36c) Off limits?

I was headed down to the Brown Canyon area on Sunday to do some calling and stopped at the chevron there at the 86/286 Junction. Got to talking to a guy who told me that the Area from Las Delicias down to just south of Brown Canyon was now off limits to hunting and had been taken over as a bird sanctuary. Anyone have any legitimate confirmation regarding this or is it just BS?

You should check with the AZ G&F department on that. I know there has always been special regulations on the Buenos Aries, also some restrictions up in Brown Canyon. Not sure of the current rules/regs though. Again, I would check with G&F if I were you......

Good luck!

S.

Part of the Buenos Aires Refuge extends into that area, but only for the first mile or so west of 286. The rest is state trust and a small amount of private land. The BA is open to all hunting EXCEPT quail hunting (to preserve the non existant masked bobwhite quail). Try just south of Brown Canyon Road, I know there are at least two mountain lions running around down there. I found a fresh lion kill this winter in the area. I went back to put a camera on it and the coyotes had already beat me to it!

The BA sometimes has some quirky seasons so I would double check the AZGF website for season details or there is a BA information station on the east side of 286 at MP 22.5 that has the hunting regulations posted.

Only portions had been closed, once you went through the 2nd gate/cattle guard it has always been closed to hunting. i'm referring from the point at which you turn onto Brown Canyon road up to that 2nd gate/cattle guard