Sign in to follow this  
Teo

Deadline for Colorado fall draw

You don't need a spread sheet. Just get the point hunter app. It sends you reminders for draw deadlines and keeps track of your points.

Thx ill check it out. I was a member of huntin fool but not sure i like the new direction.

Thx ill check it out. I was a member of huntin fool but not sure i like the new direction.

Haha. You mean the "send us another $100 if you want that info" direction?

Ok guys that have hunted Colorado before....question. This is the first year a buddy and myself have bought a pp in the expectations of buying them for a few years to build up enough for a decent mule deer hunt. My question to you guys that have hunted there is this. How long of a wait are we looking at? We would like a chance at 170"+bucks. I know that if its anything like AZ there are 170"+ bucks in every unit, but I'm talking about a rifle hunt where it's common to see 170"+ deer. Is that a 5 year wait, 10 year wait, how long of a ride are we in for? To be clear I'm not asking for anyone's secret spots just a general answer because we're new at applying in Colorado. I think Colorado has it figured out to where you can tell exactly how many points you need for a guaranteed tag, but I'm not sure where to find that info. I may be wrong. On a side note....I just drew my 22nd bonus point for antelope here in AZ so I'm buying an antelope point in Colorado. How many points for a decent hunt there? By decent I mean a shot at a mid 70s buck? On another side not I had to laugh a little when I was watching the tutorial on how to apply for hints in Colorado and the first thing it says is don't wait until the last minute to apply......I applied 4 hours before it closed and was kicked off and had to restart the application process 3 times due to "an unusual amount of activity." Thanks in advance for any input and reading this long winded post!

Hey Cody, I'm sitting on 15 pts for deer in Colorado. I think what most guys will tell you is that if you don't have a high number of points then get out and hunt as often as you can. A monster buck can come out of any unit in any season. Now if you want an answer on a unit where you can see multiple 170+ bucks in a single hunt, I'm guessing you're gonna be waiting a long long time. As far as antelope go, save your money. My sister in law dumped 16 pts last year for one of the top tier units in Colorado. They shot a 72"er and it was by far the biggest buck they saw. Save your money and go to wyoming. Building points in CO used to be cheap but now its gotten out of hand on the non refundable stuff so don't waste your money as there are no units with 75" goats in them unless you are hunting private ground or are burning a ton of points.

• Like 1

Wow that's not really what I was expecting to hear! I didn't think it would take 12+ years for an above average deer hunt. Disappointing to hear about the antelope quality as well.

Weather and dates are key in Colorado. With great weather and the right dates an average hunts can become great. Next year the dates are great for 3rd season and i will be cashing in my points. If you are looking for 170 plus only putting in for 3rd season hunts that take 5 to 7 points. 10 plus points(bigger buck potential) i would hold out for first season above timber hunts(you will have to pack in).

The muledeer in my picture is from Colorado 3rd season that only takes 2 points to draw.

Yotebuster is correct, big bucks are in every unit, and hunt any decent unit in Colorado and you will be hooked for life.

Ok guys that have hunted Colorado before....question. This is the first year a buddy and myself have bought a pp in the expectations of buying them for a few years to build up enough for a decent mule deer hunt. My question to you guys that have hunted there is this. How long of a wait are we looking at? We would like a chance at 170"+bucks. I know that if its anything like AZ there are 170"+ bucks in every unit, but I'm talking about a rifle hunt where it's common to see 170"+ deer. Is that a 5 year wait, 10 year wait, how long of a ride are we in for? To be clear I'm not asking for anyone's secret spots just a general answer because we're new at applying in Colorado. I think Colorado has it figured out to where you can tell exactly how many points you need for a guaranteed tag, but I'm not sure where to find that info. I may be wrong. On a side note....I just drew my 22nd bonus point for antelope here in AZ so I'm buying an antelope point in Colorado. How many points for a decent hunt there? By decent I mean a shot at a mid 70s buck? On another side not I had to laugh a little when I was watching the tutorial on how to apply for hints in Colorado and the first thing it says is don't wait until the last minute to apply......I applied 4 hours before it closed and was kicked off and had to restart the application process 3 times due to "an unusual amount of activity." Thanks in advance for any input and reading this long winded post!

If it snows a bunch, you dont need to wait more than a year.

I switched over to a 0-1 point unit and plan to hunt to every year at the very least. I expect to kill that class of buck at least every other time in the unit. Pick a unit and learn it. You will kill 170 bucks in CO.

Killed a 330 bull and a 180 buck on back to back days in Colorado in a unit that takes 1 point to draw either one.like cmbbulldog said pick a unit and learn it and you will have success. love Colorado