Sign in to follow this  
newbee

brand new to hunting

greetings all FOR the record this is the first hunting sight Ive joined, and the first season I will be hunting-ever,so I am filled with plenty of dumb questions-->hence the name. I plan on setting out opening day or close to it,what are your recomendations?? I was thinking NE of PH by last years fires I figure all the new growth must have some healthy deer- better Q where is a good place to bow hunt ...I know, I know, the new guy had a brainchild. :D let me know

thanx in advance ,and if all goes well you wont even know im out there

"newbee" ;) ..

Edited by newbee

newbee - once people get to know you better, they will be a little more "free" with their information. A good place to start, especially for "general" info is the Game & Fish website. They give summaries of specific Units, etc.

I have yet to see a Coues deer, so I am certainly not one to be giving out advice.

Welcome to the board, don't worry about asking questions. Once people see you are here to stay, and not a "drive-by", you should start getting more tips...

:D

thanks for the info,well how about gear ? where is a good shop to go,some online spots have pretty hard to beat prices(go figure) I like to support local venders all I can but there are some deals on line hundreds cheaper (for bows) little things Ill buy in town but on major purchases Im leading more towards E -shoping

If you want hunting gear call 1-800-237-4444 and get a cabela's magazine. I take it that you want to hunt archery northeast of Phoenix where the fire was.

Its a thought , this is my first year so I plan on spending ea. month open in a new spot and scout on off months a little late in the season ,but I work best under preasure worst case ill learn alot over the next few months. :rolleyes:

For choosing a bow, go to the shops and shoot a few and find out which one is most comfortable for you, dont even look at price at this point. This will take at least a day to find "your" perfect bow. Once you figure out what you want, look at the price. The reason you dont look at price first is you may not want to shoot the bow that fits you right because of the price. A lot of shops around here will let you put it on layaway, so it is easy to pay it off. Once you find a bow you need to practice. You should also get camos, a good knife, and good binoculars. Cover scents are good, but you can roll around in the dirt to cover your scent, and dirt is free. After your bow is sighted in, take it on scouting trips so you can stump shoot, this is the best way to learn your limits and how the bow performs, I so this almost every scouting trip, except when I am in a hurry. About the area to go, I dont know that, I dont hunt around that area. And yes it is a little late, but you can get ready pretty quick, main thing is to get confident in your shooting, archery starts Aug 27, it will be here before you know it.

Good luck

GMM

thanks ,i plan on heading north this weekend to see whats out and about. this week I should have my bow , and every day ill be punching targets. ,good idea about bringing it scouting.

It is difficult to give you the advice on where to hunt since I don?t know what type of terrain or vegetation that you like to hunt in, or how you hunt. Some people might like to hunt big mountains with big canyons, and others may like to hunt rolling hills. Some might like to hunt the thick oak and manzanita, and some may like open areas with ocotillo and mesquite. It all depends on your personal preference. The only thing that I can tell you is to get maps, and get out and drive and find where you can get into and where you can?t, access is a big issue. Find areas that look good to you and meet your hunting style. Getting into more difficult areas will usually mean fewer hunters to deal with. I believe deer can be found all over and most large canyons will have deer in them.

Im shooting for the mountains,there are no better views of gods country in my opinion.and pretty much as remote as I can. Im going to try my best at stalking I feel pretty confident not to visualy compromise myself or make too much of a racket (of course I say that before the dear run like heck away from me into another hunters domain) thanx for the tips :)

Edited by newbee

newbee, practice, practice, practice with that bow and try to find an outdoor range. the best advice i have recieved about bow huntin is this, for the range or ranges that you wish to be proficient become aquianted with 10 yards farther, example if shooting out to 50 yards is your effective max, practice at 60 and become proficient and comfortable and so on, keep the wind in your favor and practice stalking on any thing that moves. get ya a lion tag(pest control) and if ya are lucky enough to see one that could very well be a barometer for the area of intrest. one more thing get ya some sneaky petes from pse or the other type of stalking aids for your boots, carlton also makes a good pair and they can be found at sportsman wherehouse or in cabellas, good luck. some other info that i have picked from this site came on the game cameras area about activity pertaining to water and whitetails. the majority of action came between 11am and 1pm and from my excursions in 29 to 36c I would have to agree and say that I was pleasantly surprised, again thanx to all that have helped me w/ thier info this site has really helped out!! -mike-

good deal, thanks too all so far -the pieces are coming together. this sight has a wealth of knowledge to find and i am sure glad ive found it :lol: . but now for those peskie mountain lions ...<_<

Newbie,

The Arizona Deer Association is holding a clinic for deer hunter's next week in Phx. There will be several excellent speakers talking all about how to hunt deer in AZ. They will go over techniques and optics and such. Should be a great clinic.

And several of the speakers are CW.com sponsors. Duwane Adams and Jim White will be speaking.

Everyone should consider going!! For more info go to www.azdeer.org

Amanda