AZwest16

Unit 9 Archery Bull

Well one of my best friends and I drew this tag with our first choice with no real expectation that we would get it! I've always wanted the opportunity to hunt this unit and the world class bulls that roam it! With that being said I have never really set foot in the unit and I have a great deal of scouting of ahead of me! I'm pumped for the whole experience from scouting to getting after it during the hunt! Just curious from guys and gals who have hunted this unit:

-How do you think the early muzzle loader will affect the archery hunt other than there being a few less big bulls.

-With the hunt being a week later should the rut be full swing or is it a coin toss from year to year.

-I've heard of the horror stories of other hunter/guide services running people off of water and other areas containing good bulls. Is throughout the unit or just where there are a few monsters known to be located?

-are there elk scattered throughout the unit or mostly where the monsoons have hit?

At the end of the day whether I kill or not I want to come home knowing I did everything I could possible do to kill a 350 plus bull. I've been fortunate enough to kill a 330 class bull and two others around the 300 mark. I'm ok to come home empty handed. Any insight you guys and gals could give me I would really appreciate it! If anyone would rather PM me that would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance!

Regan

Congrats on a world class tag!

1. There will be more than just a few big bulls killed on the muzzle loader hunt! But there will be enough left for you! Lol

2. Elk are scattered through out the unit.

3. Yes you should be able to kill a 350+ bull!

4. Hunt don't worry about anybody else. First come first serve on a water hole! I don't care if it's the pope himself! Stand your ground peacefully!

5. If it rains it will mess it up for a few days. But get ready that ground can suck up the water! Then get back on a waterhole! Over 50% of the bulls in 9 are killed on water!

• Like 2

Congrats on the tag,your a lucky guy.how many points did you have?I thank you nailed it on the head about having the muzz hunt before yours.they will kill some big bulls but having your hunt later is gonna be huge for rut activity.the elk are all over the unit,and yes there will be pressure from other hunters and guides and the 10 guys they will have with them but that's one price you will have to pay when your in a trophy unit like 9.that being said you can find places with less to no pressure.from my experience water can be hard to hunt at times cuz more then one person will want to sit the same tank.in one instance there was someone sitting this tank all day long so know one else could sit it, not sure if the actual hunter was in there the hole time but someone was.no comment.it's gonna be an incredible hunt and the best of luck.pm me if you have any questions,I've been there quite a bit,I will be across the road in 7w.I will trade you haha

• Like 1

Yes, the rut should be full swing by the middle of your hunt about the 25th!

Those bulls won't even know a muzzle loader hunt happened!

• Like 1

Most guys that are fighting for water are just as bad as the guides they blame for being on the water all the time. They are in the same area for purely selfish reasons just like everybody else! A 400" bull! It will bring out the worst in most!

Most the guides I know are nice and will work with a hunter over a waterhole even alternating evenings!

I don't even go where their at.There is plenty of good hunting elsewhere in 9!

• Like 1

Had this tag in 2013 went into it green when it comes to elk hunting got some good pointers from sir royal and was an amazing hunt even though I didn't tag out i learned a lot and was on the elk daily just couldn't get the stars aligned there are elk everywhere enjoy the hunt it will be 1 to remember

Congrats on a world class tag!

1. There will be more than just a few big bulls killed on the muzzle loader hunt! But there will be enough left for you! Lol

2. Elk are scattered through out the unit.

3. Yes you should be able to kill a 350+ bull!

4. Hunt don't worry about anybody else. First come first serve on a water hole! I don't care if it's the pope himself! Stand your ground peacefully!

5. If it rains it will mess it up for a few days. But get ready that ground can suck up the water! Then get back on a waterhole! Over 50% of the bulls in 9 are killed on water!

Sirroyal is sitting water better in 9 than any other az unit? Just curious as to why 50% or so are killed off water. I know that is a great way to kill a big bull as you don't want to blow them out of the country while out runnin and gunnin. I've always had a hard time not chasing bugles when there fired up in the evening! But on with this tag it's all about killing the best bull that I can so the tactic doesn't really matter to me!

I have done a cow tag unit 9 twice. That does not make me an expert, but I still shot both of my cows with bugling bulls the 2nd week of October. I have the coordinates or map of an old trick tank I came across that I can try to send you. There are some huge water holes, but a little off the path trick tank could be a diamond in the rough for you. I hunted areas in the northern part of the unit at higher elevations.

If you know where a big bull is bedding sure try catch him by circling outside his bed . If I know his pattern I wait till I hear him first and then set up accordingly. I have found when they move out of their bed the cows will move towards the cow calling and or bugling! I have had many a good hunt in 9 this way.

Let me put it to you this way. The last night of a 14 day hunt what are you gonna do the pressure is on ! You may never draw this tag again! Your stressing , your uncertain , your buddies try to help by telling you what to do! But your just more confused! Constantly second guessing yourself!

Just remember water is huge! Especially if you have worked that area where the bulls bed and the water is near their beds. Jackpot!!

• Like 1

Congrats on a great tag, It is awesome you were able to draw it with 5 pts. Best of luck!