Sign in to follow this  
bgshooter

Looking for 20 gauge for my son...

Hey folks,

Before I go out to Cabela's (or the gun shop around the corner) shopping, thought I'd see if anyone here was thinking about getting rid of one from their collection.

My son is 10 y/o, about 4'+ tall and 56 lbs. He's never shot a shotgun before. Looking for something he can handle well. I have my eyes on the Mossberg 500 Super Bantam at 20 gauge w/22" barrel. I had him hold and aim my Mossberg 500 12 gauge with the 18" barrel. He couldn't aim right with the limb saver recoil pad on but when i took it off, it felt more comfortable for him. Without the recoil pad, the LOP was 12". I actually cut off an inch from the stock so with the recoil pad, LOP is 13" and it's perfect for me.

Hoping to get him something to use for the next dove season but want to get it at least a month or two before so we can go out and practice with it. I plan on getting some low recoil shells (980 fps) to start him off with.

If you have anything, please post here or PM me with pics, price and location.

Also, looking for anyone's personal opinion on the Mossberg 500 Super Bantam in case one doesn't come up for sale here. Good starter gun for a small kid?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Look at Budsgunshop.com and search for "weatherby sa-08 youth"

This is about $150 than you were planning on spending, but I don't think there is a better shotgun out there in this price range for small-framed shooters. Stop in at Bass Pro or Cabelas and have him shoulder it and you'll see.

Mosberg mini thug, it's a 20 or 410 gauge pump smaller than the youth 870. I just picked one up. Best youth shotgun on the market imo

My daughter has the Mossberg 500 20 guauge and loves it. She hasn't shot it a lot but we've had no problems so far.

I would look for auto that's gas operated. They seem to take a lot of the recoil away. JMO