Sign in to follow this  
DEIdeven

spotting scope dilemma!

I would figure out what your eyes like the best and go from there. I personally do not like the 15's, I much prefer to glass with 10 or 12x and have no problems finding animals. A solid tripod is very important, and a smooth fluid head. I carry 10x42 El's and also always have my 20-60x80 spotter. The spotter is a luxury piece that is not needed until you have good binoculars first. Before I had a nice scope, my legs just got a better workout trying to get closer to determine how good the animal was. Chances are, you will not glass with a spotting scope because it causes a lot of eye fatigue. Instead, you will find the animals with your binoculars and size them up with the scope. Buy the best optics you can afford, and IMO save up a little longer than you originally planned and get one step better than your previous plan. You will have them forever and the saying goes, "buy once, cry once" Good luck on getting some quality optics and do not look past used optics.

• Like 1

I've got 04' 15 X 56 SLC's and 13' Zeiss Conquest 15 X 56's. Optically, the Zeiss are slightly better. Ergonomically speaking, I prefer the SLC's. Ergonomics don't matter much when optics are mounted on a tripod.

Spotters: 65mm would be a minimum objective size. I'd suggest 80mm if you plan on USING your scope at 40X or more.

• Like 1

15x56 over 20x binos for sure. But a great pair of 10x42s will find more game than a decent pair of 15s.

I use my 10x42s for 90% of my glassing. I break out the 15s when I find something that needs to be looked at better, or when glassing at 1 mile+.

• Like 1

15x56 over 20x binos for sure. But a great pair of 10x42s will find more game than a decent pair of 15s.

I use my 10x42s for 90% of my glassing. I break out the 15s when I find something that needs to be looked at better, or when glassing at 1 mile+.

This is sound advice. Optics are tools, each tool has it's use. Rather than spending $$$ on 15's, get a high end set of 10 X 42's, a good lightweight tripod & fluid head. You can add additional optics down the road. 10 X 42's are the default optic for the western hunter.

"Go to the light"... 65mm minimum for big eyes like you are looking into.

Buy nice or buy twice.

I agree check out the Zeiss. Bought a pair for my wife they are awesome and really close to my swaro 15hd. There customer service is awesome as well. My dad had a pair of 15x45 Zeiss he just kept in his bass boat for nature viewing and needless to say they took pounding in his rod locker and nocked some glass loose. They replaced free of charge. I also bought a used diascope that had a small piece of debris in it they sent me new one free of charge. It takes 2 months but the customer service representative said she would overnight me a loaner eyepiece until my repair was complete. Not just vortex but all companies have awesome customer service. I would recommend trying different pairs of 15s to make sure they for your face. The vortex eyepiece didn't fit me to good.